Wood dominated the game from start to finish and had the possession you would expect from a side two divisions higher. Ian Allinson ensured he got minutes into all his squad ahead of next Saturdays opener against FC Halifax Town.

Wood’s first effort came after a mistake by Hunter allowed Montgomery to burst towards goal, although off balanced his shot was off target.

A well worked move followed, Nunn played out from the back to Whichelow who in turn put in a deep cross which found Montgomery, he laid off to Clifford who was surrounded by green shirts who cleared the danger.

A good understanding was being formed between the Wood midfield as they all combined well in a great move which ended when Montgomery couldn’t keep his header down.

In a rare Biggleswade attack, on the Wood byline Clifford cleared straight to Merson who took a touch and fired over.

A dangerous ball in from a Biggleswade corner evaded everyone and out for a Wood goal kick.

The lively trialist broke up play well. He slipped in Macdonald who couldn’t quite get enough power in cutting the ball back.

Wood’s opening goal came in the 32nd minute, Garrard to Montgomery, who put a great ball in the box and it was Macdonald who got to the initial cross but Whichelow unmarked poked the ball into the net.

The best chance of the half for Biggleswade came just on half time, a ball in from the right found an unmarked Wader who couldn’t steer his header on target.

Morias had a chance to double the lead just after the break, a ball over the top was misjudged by the Waders defence and Brown was forced into a good save.

It was Crawford though who doubled the Wood’s lead, a poor pass out from Brown in the Biggleswade goal allowed Crawford in who made no mistake finding the back of the net.

Montgomery stung the palms of Brown with a great strike from 25 yards out which was equally matched with a fine save from Brown.

A great one two between Cox and Whichelow, gave Cox plenty of space down the right his floated ball in found Morias, who headed down into the ground giving the keeper an easy save.

Wood’s third goal soon followed, a corner from Whichelow found Reynolds at the near post who glanced his header past Brown.

Merson had a great chance to get one back for the home side. Hill completely missed his header and from just inside the box Merson couldn’t find the target.

Morias got clipped 25 yards out, Whichelow who took the free kick forced a good save from Brown who tipped over.

Wood went from Defence to attack at speed as Cox made a great saving tackle before pressing forward with intent. Montgomery whipped in a great ball for Morias who couldn’t quite get the contact required.

It was four soon after, a mazy little run from Montgomery, who fed in Whichelow, he took a touch and made it look easy slotting the ball past Brown.

After the game the gaffer spoke to us and said “I was pleased with the performance today and after the Arsenal cancellation it was great to get much needed minutes into all of my squad.

The squad is really taking shape now and I am happy with where we are going into the league opener next Saturday”.

On the up coming friendly on Monday the gaffer said “It gives me a chance to get some minutes into those that need it and also gives me a chance to have a final look before selecting my XI for the opening day of the season”.


Wood Team: Russell (Edwards), Nunn (Cox), Garrard, Trialist, Hill, Doe (Reynolds), Whichelow, Clifford (Shakes), Howell (Crawford), Macdonald (Morias), Montgomery


Share This