Altrincham 0 – 2 Boreham Wood
Saturday 28th January 2023
J Davidson Stadium, Vanarama National League


A goal in each half from defenders Will Evans and Femi Ilesamni was enough for Boreham Wood to secure their first away win in the league since 8th October.

Luke Garrard made two changes following Tuesday night’s heart-breaking FA Cup exit at Accrington Stanley. Cameron Coxe and Tyrone Marsh dropped out of the starting line up with Chris Bush and Erico Sousa coming in. Sousa replaced Coxe at right wing back and Chris Bush came in at centre half while Femi Ilesanmi moved to left wing back. Dennon Lewis started up front alongside Lee Ndlovu.

First Half

The Robins started the better of the two sides with the dangerous Chris Conn-Clarke testing Nathan Ashmore after five minutes. However, the Wood keeper saved well. Five minutes later Ashmore also denied Egli Kaja. Wood then started to threaten with Chris Bush going close from distance. On eighteen minutes, a lovely move involving Sousa and Dennon Lewis, created a chance for Josh Rees whose effort was well saved by Ollie Byrne in the Altrincham goal. Six minutes, Lee Ndlovu had a well struck shot blocked.

On twenty-five minutes, Wood took the lead when Will Evans produced a towering header at the far post from a Josh Rees corner to beat Byrne in the Robins goal. Three minutes later the Altrincham keeper tipped over Lewis’s shot. From the resulting corner, Evan’s produced a carbon copy header which this time, clipped the crossbar. The hosts fought back well before the break, by stretching the Wood defence but the backline lead by the outstanding Will Evans, held firm.

Second Half 

Although the hosts came out with intent at the start of the second half, a goal on forty-nine minutes from Femi Ilesamni, finished the match as a contest. Following some excellent approach play and a fantastic cross from Chris Bush, Ilesamni had the easy job of nodding the ball home at the far post.

On fifty-five minutes, an excellent run and shot by the Conn-Clarke almost halved Altrincham’s deficit but Jack Payne did well to block his effort. Six minutes later Lewis Baines had a free header for the Robins but it sailed over the crossbar. Soon afterwards, Conn-Clarke forced a brilliant save from Ashmore, just as his shot looked like heading into the far corner. Despite the Robins pressure since the goal, the Wood defence weathered the storm and for the last period of the game had some good chances to extend their lead. Tyrone Marsh had a shot blocked on eighty minutes. With four minutes left on the clock, Bush tried an audacious chip which was well saved by Ollie Byrne just as it looked like deceiving the Altrincham stopper. In injury time, a George Broadbent cross nearly beat Ollie Byrne at the near post and when the ball fell to Danny Newton, he somehow missed from close range.

It was a very professional performance from Luke Garrard’s men against a disappointing Altrincham side who were clearly missing their talismanic winder Ryan Colclough who recently left the club for Chesterfield. It’s great that Boreham Wood’s two best players against Accrington Stanley, Will Evans and Femi Ilesamni, goal the goals. Josh Rees was outstanding again and his form in recent weeks has kept Zac Brunt out of the starting line-up. It is well known that Boreham Wood’s cup exit last season, started a poor run of form. Luke Garrard’s men have made a good start in ensuring this doesn’t happen again.

Boreham Wood: Ashmore, Sousa, Ilesamni, Bush, Evans, Agbontohoma, Broadbent, Rees, Payne, Ndlovu (Newton 71), Lewis (Marsh 71)

Subs not used: Ricketts, Williams, Brunt

Altrincham: Byrne, Jones, Marriott, Baines, Lundstram, Hulme (Dinanga 61), Conn-Clarke, Jones, Gyasi (Pringle 72), Kaja, Welch-Hayes

Subs not used: Osborne, Gould, Oyedele,

Man of the Match: Josh Rees




Share This