Altrincham 1 – 1 Boreham Wood
Saturday 13th November 3.00pm
The J. Davidson Stadium, Vanarama National League

Wood were left to make do with a point when a Josh Hancock piledriver cancelled out Jamal Fyfield’s second half opener for Boreham Wood.

Luke Garrard made one change from Boreham Wood’s FA Cup First round win against Eastleigh last Saturday with David Stephens coming in for the injured Femi Ilesamni at the back.

The one minutes silence before kick-off to commemorate Remembrance Day was followed by a first half that wasn’t much louder. It was devoid of any real activity and Wood played the half very much in their shell. Their Greater Manchester host were the better side and controlled the opening period. It wasn’t until the twenty-fifth minute that they created a meaningful chance when Ryan Colclough fired wide following a good run. On forty-two minutes Jake Moult went close for the hosts but Taye Ashby-Hammond saved from his header.

Luke Garrard’s men were much better after the break and started the half on the front foot. Soon after the restart Gus Mafuta went on a rampaging run but his shot went well wide. Scott Boden then headed into the side netting. At this stage, with Altrincham defence at sixes and sevens, Boreham Wood smelt blood. Tyrone Marsh volleyed just over when well placed and on fifty-eight minutes they got their reward. A positive run out of defence by Jamal Fyfield and a one two, seemingly off a Altrincham defender, left him one on one with goalkeeper Tony Thompson before slotted coolly past him. The goal, flicked a switch in the Altrincham side and they started to control the game again. The dangerous Josh Hancock forced an excellent save from Ashby-Hammond on sixty-eight minutes. However, the Fulham loanee wasn’t so lucky eight minutes later when Hancock equalised when he struck a fantastic long range shot past Ashby-Hammond to equalise. The hosts then piled the pressure on and caused problems for the Wood defence. However, marshalled by the outstanding Jamal Fyfield, they held on for the point.

It wasn’t pretty and despite being in front at a later period of the game, It was a point gained in the end.

Boreham Wood: Ashby-Hammond, Evans, Stephens, Fyfield, Mendy Mendy, K Smith, Ricketts, Rees (Raymond 65), Mafuta, Boden (Clifton 81), Marsh, (Lewis 81).

Subs not used: Green, Oluwabori.

Altrincham: Thompson, Hannigan (Digie 86), Moult, Porter (Whitehead 77), Dinanga (Peers 72), Hancock, Colclough, Kosylo, Fitzpatrick, Senior, Mullarkey.

Subs not used: Gould, Walker.

Star Man: Jamal Fyfield

Match report written by Wood Army member Brett Lewis.


Share This