Boreham Wood 1-2 Aldershot Town
Mangata Pay UK Stadium, Meadow Park
23rd September 3.00
pm, Vanarama National League

It was disappointing afternoon for Boreham Wood as they succumb to a 2-1 defeat against a very good Aldershot Town side. Luke Garrard made one change from Tuesday night’s draw against Rochdale with Jack Payne making his first start of the season in place of the injured Liam O’Neil in midfield.

Boreham Wood had the better of the opening minutes as they attacked the visitors from the off. Lee Ndlovu had a good chance early on but was unable connect properly with his finish. On seven minutes Aldershot should have taken the lead when Lorent Tolaj’s shot was saved by Nathan Ashmore goal before Kwame Thomas somehow skyed the rebound over the crossbar with the goal at his mercy. Two minutes later, Tyler Frost, fired just wide for the Shots. Tyrone Marsh went close for Boreham Wood the hosts on twelve minutes, with an acrobatic overhead kick but it was straight at Jordi Van Stapperhoef in the Shots goal. Tolaj fired over from distance for the Shots, four minutes later.

On twenty minutes, a lovely flowing move from the visitors involving Theo Widdrington and Tolaj created a chance for Josh Stokes on twenty minutes, but his effort was well blocked by Femi Ilesamni. Aldershot continued to dominate play as Wood failed to live with their attacking threat. Tolaj went close on thirty-four minutes but shot straight at Ashmore. Two minutes later, Tolaj shot just wide. On thirty-nine minutes, Aldershot took a deserved lead when a lovely through ball from Cian Harries picked out Josh Stokes who finished very well past Ashmore.Frost went close for the visitors just before the half time whistle but screwed his shot wide.


Boreham Wood started the second half on the front foot, pushing for an equaliser and withing minutes, substitute Angelo Balanta forced a good save from Van Stapperhoef in the Shots goal. A minute later Tyrone Marsh forced another good save from the Shots keeper. On fifty-four minutes, the mood changed for the hosts as Aldershot broke away and added a second goal. It was Haji Mnoga who scored the killer goal from all of twenty-five yards, giving Nathan Ashmore no chance and sending the visiting support into raptures. On fifty-nine minutes Boreham Wood pulled one back when Balanta finished well at the far post.

The impetus was with Boreham Wood for the next period of the match as they pushed for an equaliser, and they thought they had it on sixty-eight minutes when Marsh put the ball in the net, but the Assistant Referee flagged for offside. A minute later, Ndlovu was denied by an excellent save from Van Stapperhoef. Four minutes later, a Cameron Coxe cross was hit over the bar by Tyrone Marsh. After this flurry of activity, the visitors were able to weather the storm and held out comfortably for a well-deserved three points.

It was a disappointing afternoon for Luke Gararrd’s men, especially after the positive performance against Rochdale on Tuesday night. He will want his team to get back to winning ways on Tuesday night, away at AFC Fylde


By Brett Lewis

Boreham Wood (4-3-3): Ashmore, Coxe, Ilesamni, Stephens (Balanta 46), Sass-Davies, Bush, Payne, Whelan (Abraham 86), Griffith (Sousa 46), Ndlovu, Marsh
Subs not used: Abayomi, Agbontohoma,

Aldershot Town (4-3-3): Van Stapperhoef, Jones, Harfield, Mnoga, Harries, Widdrington, Frost, Stokes (Willard 90), Glover, Tolaj (Barham 78), Thomas
Subs not used: Rowe, Burnett, Bycroft,




Share This