Aldershot Town 2 – 1 Boreham Wood
Saturday 9th April 2022
EBB Stadium, Vanarama National League


A lacklustre Boreham Wood succumb to disappointing defeat at lowly Aldershot Town at the EBB Stadium. A first half goal by Shots Mikael Ndjobi was cancelled out by Danilo Orsi on the hour mark, only for Jacob Berkeley-Agyepong to score the winner for the hosts on seventy-five minutes. This is now seven Vanarama National League matches without a win for Luke Garrard’s men

Following a good performance at Dagenham & Redbridge on Tuesday night, Luke Garrard named an unchanged starting line-up, clearly expecting his side to produce another good performance and a win against an out of form Aldershot Town side. It wasn’t to be.

The hosts came out of the blocks and had the first chance of the match after three minutes when Mikael Ndjobi shot into the side netting. A minute later Lewis Kinsella was just off target for the Shots with a long rang effort. On seven minutes, good approach play from Ndjoli and Christian Oxlade-Chamberlain created a chance for Jayden Harris but his effort went over the bar. Wood immediately went up the other end and Josh Rees’s header cannoned of the crossbar. Taye Ashby-Hammond was called into action eight minutes later by saving Tommy Willard;s well struck shot. Shots keeper Ryan Hall then produced an excellent save to deny Tyrone Marsh. On twenty-three minutes, the hosts took a deserved lead when Ryan Hall’s goal kick was brilliantly controlled and finished by Ndjobi, much to the relief of the home crowd who hadn’t seen their side score in seven matches. Wood then responded by controlling possession but couldn’t find a way through a determined Shots defence. The only significant incident in the rest of the first half was an injury to referee Adrian Quelch who was eventually replaced in the middle by fourth official Sean Phillips. Gus Mafuta had a free kick just outside the Shots area just before the break but unfortunately, it didn’t amount to anything.

HT: Aldershot Town 1 – 0 Boreham Wood

It was a quiet start to the second period with Boreham Wood again, unable to break down a resolute Aldershot defence. That all changed on the hour mark when a James Comley throw in caused confusion in the Shots defence before Danilo Orsi was able to finish past Ryan Hall in the Aldershot goal. It was Boreham Wood’s first goal in five matches. The Shots keeper distinguished himself further by saving well from Tyrone Marsh shortly afterwards. Hall is Aldershot’s third choice keeper who was on loan at Beaconsfield Town in the Southern League Premier Division South until yesterday. He was outstanding on his return to the club. On sixty-eight minutes Willard fired wide for the hosts when well placed. Soon afterwards Jamal Fyfield headed over the bar. After seventy-four minutes, Aldershot scored what proved to be the winning goal when Berkeley-Agyepong put the ball in the Wood net with their defence caught napping. Boreham Wood huffed and puffed for the rest of the game, but Aldershot were able to put their bodies on the line to deny any clearcut goalscoring opportunities.

FT : Aldershot Town 2 – 1 Boreham Wood

It was a hugely disappointing afternoon for Luke Garrard’s men. They will want to get back to winning ways on Good Friday at home against Dover Athletic

Boreham Wood: Ashby-Hammond, K Smith (Lewis 60), Fyfield, Evans, Stevens, Mendy Mendy, Rees (Orsi 39), Comley, Marsh, Boden (Clifton 79).

Subs not used: Stephens, Raymond.

Aldershot Town: Hall, Kinsella, Berkeley-Agyepong (Whittingham 85), Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lyons-Foster, Sylla, Ndjoli (Daniel 85) Philips, Harris, Saunders, Willard.

Subs not used: Coulter, Bettamer.

Star Man: Taye Ashby-Hammond



Share This