Blue Square Bet South

Weston-super-Mare    4    Boreham Wood    1

by John D. Gill

Boreham Wood’s horrific First Team Squad injury list increased on their visit to Somerset on Saturday, when they played Weston-super-Mare at The Woodspring Stadium.

Manager Ian Allinson, already without Loanee goalkeeper Elvijs Putnins (back injury), Club Captain and utility player Luke Garrard (knee injury) and having to play
less than 100% fit Luke Wilkinson, Daryl McMahon and Team Captain Mario Noto,
suffered further losses during the game with Osei Sankofa being withdrawn after
thirty minutes with a groin strain and Mario Noto aggravating the ankle injury
he suffered against an Arsenal X1 in Pre-Season.

Added to this, new close Season signings James Smith and Sam Hurrell have only
recently become available, the prospect of a good start to the 2011/12 Blue Square
Bet Season has been somewhat shattered.

However, the game started brightly as Weston-super-Mare were forced to defend a Daryl McMahon free kick after just five minutes.    Wood central defender James Smith, making his full First Team debut for the Club, headed the cross just over the crossbar at the far post.

Weston-super-Mare took a 1 – 0 lead after eighteen minutes, when James Smith lost possession of the ball to Ben Kirk in his own penalty area and he crossed to Chris Young who blasted his shot wide of Michael Jordan and into the net.    Four minutes later a brilliant save by Jordan prevented Young scoring a second goal from close range.

A corner kick to Weston was quickly cleared by Wood and David Bryant raced
forward before passing to Sam Hurrell, but his shot was easily saved by Lloyd
Irish.    On the half hour Wood were forced to replace the injured Osei Sankofa, following a run wide on the right and a shot at goal that was saved.    Charlie Hunter came on in his place.

At the other end a Kane Ingram long range shot forced a full length diving save
from Michael Jordan.    Then Wood’s Daryl McMahon forced Lloyd Irish to make a good save.    As half time approached Jak Martin lost possession in his own penalty area, but Lloyd Irish raced from his goal and beat the oncoming Ollie Palmer to the ball, which he cleared up field.

Wood started the second half on the attack and both Hurrell and McMahon went close to equalizing.    Mike Mackay was through on goal for Weston, but Michael Jordan made another fine save from point blank range to prevent a certain goal.

After fifty-seven minutes Charlie Hunter had a well taken free kick saved by Lloyd
Irish, and Mark Jones shot wide of goal from the rebound.    Weston finally increased their lead after seventy-one minutes, when Substitute and new signing Ben Cleverley floated a free kick over the Wood defensive wall and just inside the near post.

Another Weston Substitute Sahr Kabba raced clear of the Wood defence and had his shot brilliantly saved by Michael Jordan, nine minutes from time.    A terrible mix-up in the Weston penalty area ended with Lloyd Irish losing possession of the ball.    David Bryant seized on the opportunity to shoot into the empty net in the final minute of the game to make the score 2 – 1.

Then came a crazy six minutes of stoppage time in which Weston-super-Mare scored two late goals.    Jamie Price headed home a free kick at the near post and then in the sixth minute of stoppage time Dayle Grubb ran clear of the Wood defence and struck a well placed shot wide of Michael Jordan.

Team:    Jordan, Sankofa (Sub – Hunter 30 mins.), Jones, O’Loughlin, Wilkinson, Smith, Noto (Sub – Scott-Morris 62 mins.), McMahon , Palmer (Sub – Effiong 62 mins.), Bryant, Hurrell.

Subs (Not used):    Akinola, Baker-Owers.

Bookings:    Bryant, Jones, Smith, Wilkinson.

Goals:    Weston-super-Mare:    Young 18, Cleverley 71, Price 90 + (2), Grubb 90 + (6).            Boreham Wood:    Bryant 90.

Wood Man of The Match:    David Bryant.


Share This