Blue Square Bet South

Boreham Wood – 0
Woking – 0

by John Mead

A second consecutive goalless draw earned Wood a point against Non League giants Woking. The Cards gave Wood a lot to think about in the first half, until an inspired double Substitution turned the game in the home side’s favour.

Although Wood are still seeking their first win, the costly mistakes that led to Wood shipping eleven goals in the first four games appear to have been eradicated. Woking’s only goal scorer so far this Season Dave Gilroy thought he had added a fifth to his tally after just five minutes but his headed effort was ruled out early for offside.

Lee Kersey had another superb afternoon and was tested to the full throughout the first half by both Gilroy and the pacy foraging Sam Hurrell. A succession of blocks and timely tackles frustrated the visitors. Toby Little then shot over before Hurrell was thwarted by Kersey’s block. Claude Seanla headed a James Hawes cross over before the visitors laid siege on the Wood penalty area on the half hour mark. Some fine interchange play led to a low drive from Francis Quarm from the edge of the area which was met by a superb reaction save from Gareth Williams diving low to his left. The resultant loose ball was smashed against the post from distance by Moses Ademola, before three further shots followed in quick succession, two of which were cleared off the line by Luke Garrard then Lee Allinson. Hurrell flashed a shot across the goalmouth before setting up Gilroy who hit a curling effort just wide.

By the interval Wood had the efforts of both Kersey and Daniel Brathwaite in particular to thank for their parity. Brathwaite, surely one of the best left backs in the Division, contributed a seemingly effortless game of textbook defending. Williams plucked several crosses out with ease before diving to his right to deny Gilroy who was clean through on goal.

Then the introduction of wingers Junior Dadson and Greg Morgan changed the course of the game. Brathwaite supplied a cross for Morgan who tried to pick his spot beyond Lenny Pidgeley who was equal to the effort, Wood’s first effort on target of the afternoon. A minute later Jerome Maledon surrendered possession allowing Dadson to cross from the left for Seanla who ran in to shoot just the wrong side of the post. Morgan then provided for Dadson who headed over in Wood’s brightest spell in the game. Woking moved quickly to introduce Oliver Palmer with the debutante stifling Dadson’s efforts to win the game for Wood.

Both sides had further half chances with Williams holding a whipped effort from Hurrell to hold out for a point.

In summary Wood boss Ian Allinson commented, “We have survived two massive games in forty-eight hours against quality opposition and some of the players tired in the second half today. We must take every game as it comes. This League is a big step up for us and we are up against some big budgets but we are getting to grips with it.”

On the performance of his defence he added, “Lee Kersey, Ryan Moran and Daniel Brathwaite were massive for us today. Gareth Williams in goal did not put a foot wrong today and kept us in the game.”
Wood have now taken three points from a possible eighteen, a situation that Allinson is well aware of.“ We may need to look at bringing one or two players in but we will not panic as we must be sure that they are better than the players we already have.”

Team: Williams, Garrard, Hawes (Sub – Morgan 59 mins.), Noto, Kersey, Moran, Seanla, Godfrey, Blackburne (Sub – Dadson 59 mins.), Allinson (Sub – King 87 mins.), Brathwaite.

Subs (Not used): Clarke, Kirby.

Bookings: Seanla, Brathwaite.

Man of the Match: Gareth Williams.


Share This