It was a good night for the Wood all round as they returned to winning ways and quickly put to bed the disappointing result and performance from Saturday against Wrexham.

Luke Garrard made two changes from the side that lost against Wrexham. In came fit again duo Morgan Ferrier and Mark Ricketts with Anthony Jeffrey and Aaron Kuhl making way.

Wood came out the blocks quickly and set the tempo of the game camping themselves in Braintree’s half. Angelo Balanta played the ball out wide to Femi Ilesanmi who put in a crisp cross. Kenny Davis who made a good run from midfield rose highest heading wide.

Morgan Ferrier a handful all evening for the Braintree defence picked the ball up on the edge of the box jinged past two Braintree defenders unleashing a shot which cannoned back off the cross bar with Will Puddy well beaten.

With the Wood seeing plenty of the ball in the wide areas, Angelo Balanta put in a deep cross to the back post. Bruno Andrade got his head to the ball which then fell free and at the second attempt made Will Puddy save well low down to his left.

It was a normal sight for Wood supporters as Conor Clifford went into the referee’s notebook early on, which looked harsh at best considering he won the ball though the referee indicated it was his follow through that saw him punished.

Femi Ilesanmi got forward at every opportunity and whipped in a great delivery, Kenny Davis at the back post headed it towards goal and Morgan Ferrier nipped in front of his man to give Wood the lead in his return to the side from injury.

Braintree Town’s first effort came from a long throw in from the right. Jack Midson won the flick on and Chez Issac on his weaker left foot shot over the bar.

Braintree were forced into a sub just before half time. Jack Cowgill fouled Angelo Balanta after Balanta had nicked the ball past him with the Iron defender coming of worse which resulted in him being replaced by Ian Gayle.

Grant Smith was called into action for the first time, a ball across goal was met by Simeon Akinola with his effort heading in until Grant Smith was able to get down and block his effort.

Luke Garrard was forced into a sub at half time with Danny Woodards coming on for Joe Devera who took a blow to the head just before half time.

Danny Woodards was called into action straight away. Simeon Akinola got free with Grant Smith to beat. The experienced defender got across and timed his tackle to perfection.

A long throw in from the left fell kindly to Oli Muldoon 25 yards from goal who saw his shot cannon into Mark Ricketts and out for a corner.

Oli Muldoon picked up the loose ball and battled past Conor Clifford to put a ball into the box for Simeon Akinola who made no mistake volleying past Grant Smith to give Braintree Town a well-deserved equaliser.

Grant Smith had to be alert again Oli Muldoon striking from distance with the Wood stopper at full stretch to tip the ball round the post.

It was Ferrier though that was the star of the show. After Braintree lost possession just inside their own half, Angelo Balanta played a cute ball down the left for Ferrier to chase. The prolific striker powered past Ian Gayle and slotted beyond Will Puddy to restore Woods lead with the striker netting his 7th goal in just 7 starts for the Wood.

Mark Ricketts committed a foul 30 yards from goal. A beautifully flighted ball into the box evaded everyone except for Simeon Akinola at the back post. His snap shot was well saved on the line from Grant Smith.

Smith was called into action again in the dying moments of added time at the end of the ninety. A stray pass from Conor Clifford, allowed one final long throw into the box. The loose ball fell kindly to Simeon Akinola but the young Wood keeper was alert to keep the ball out and give his side the three points.

Boreham Wood: Smith, Nunn, Ricketts, Paine, Davis, Andrade (Uchechi), Ferrier (Jeffrey), Ilesanmi, Clifford, Balanta, Devera (Woodards)

Subs: Woodards, Lucas, Uchechi, Moke, Jeffrey

Referee: Mr C Brook

ATT: 553



Share This