Boreham Wood 2-1 Yeovil Town
Saturday 25th September 2021, 3.00pm
LV Bet Stadium Meadow Park, Vanarama National League

In an entertaining match at then LV Bet Stadium Meadow Park, it was a second half goal from Josh Rees that secured Boreham Wood’s fifth victory in eight Vanarama National League matches this season. They were assisted on their way by the first half sending off of former Boreham Wood striker, Adi Yussuf and some heroic goalkeeping from Nathan Ashmore right at the death.

Luke Garrard’s starting line up were unchanged for the seventh match running but it was Yeovil, buoyed by their loud travelling support who controlled possession in the opening period of the match. The dangerous Tom Knowles was denied by some excellent defending by Jamal Fyfield on ten minutes. A minute later Wood’s Will Evans was denied by a brilliant save from former Boreham Wood keeper Grant Smith in the Glovers goal. Four minutes later the visitors took the lead when a well struck free kick from Dale Gorman beat a seemingly unsighted Nathan Ashmore in the Wood goal.

On twenty-five minutes, Grant Smith produced a good save from a long-range Frankie Raymond effort. However, he palmed the resulting corner onto the back of defender Josh Staunton who deflected the ball in for an equaliser. In the period leading up to half time Glovers forward Adi Yussuf was showed two yellow cards in a five minute period for fouls on Jamal Fyfield and referee Scott Simpson had no choice but to give him an early bath. Glovers manager Darren Sarll didn’t hold back on his criticism of Yussuf as he left the pitch. This left his side with a man show and most of the match still to play. With this obvious advantage, Boreham Wood started to turn the screw, going into half time. Will Evans heading over when well placed just before the interval.

The second half started with Wood on top. Josh Rees headed narrowly wide on forty-nine minutes. On fifty-seven minutes, the away side nearly regained the lead when after a lovely weaving run from Tom Knowles, the former Cambridge United man, fired narrowly wide. The Glovers were made to pay for that miss when three minutes later, Wood took the lead. An excellent free kick from Frankie Raymond, was headed across the goal by Kane Smith for Josh Rees to tap home beyond Grant Smith. Despite their numerical disadvantage, Yeovil had the better of the last half an hour as they searched for an equaliser. Knowles struck the outside of the Boreham Wood post on sixty-five minutes when well placed. Six minutes later Yeovil’s Joe Quigley’s first effort was saved by Ashmore before he struck his follow up just wide, from a tight angle. Yeovil had good chances to equalised in injury time. It started when Gorman’s shot was saved by Ashmore but the ball rebounded to Quigley and with his header looking goal bound and the Glovers supporters already celebrating, Nathan Ashmore somehow clawed it away. As the referee was looking at his watch, Ashmore produced another save to deny Knowles before proceedings were brought to an end.

Boreham Wood: Ashmore, Ilesamni, Ricketts, Evans, Rees (Stephens 90), Boden, Marsh (Clifton 86), Raymond (C Smith 75), Fyfield, Mendy Mendy, K Smith.

Subs not used: Green, Munns.

Yeovil Town: Smith, Moss, Staunton, Hunt, Barnett (Robinson 71), Worthington (Lo-Everton 78), Gorman, Wakefield (Rose 84), Knowles, Yussuf, Quigley.

Subs not used: Evans, Bradley.

Star Man: Nathan Ashmore.

Match report written by Wood Army member Brett Lewis.


Share This