Yeovil Town 2 – 2 Boreham Wood
Saturday 7th May 2022
Huish Park, Vanarama National League 


If last Monday’s draw at home again Wrexham felt like a win, the 2-2 draw again Yeovil Town at Huish Park felt like a defeat for Boreham Wood as they surrendered a two goal half time lead to share the points with the Somerset side. 

Luke Garrard, fresh from news of his contract extension, made one change to his starting line up from last Monday’s draw against Wrexham with Gus Mafuta replacing the suspended Jamal Fyfield with James Comley dropping into the back three in place of Fyfield.

In an eventful first half, it was Boreham Wood who took the game to their hosts. Wood took the lead on eleven minutes when a lovely run and pass by Scott Boden picked out Jacob Mendy Mendy on the left who cross it in for Tyrone Marsh who finished well past Grant Smith in the Yeovil goal. Six minutes later David Stephens conceded a penalty when he brought down a Yeovil play in the penalty area. Fortunately for Boreham Wood Nathan Ashmore produced an outstanding save to deny Dale Gorman from the spot. On twenty-seven minutes, the excellent Dennon Lewis won the ball in midfield and used his pass to run past the Town defence before slotting coolly beyond Grant Smith to double Boreham Wood’s lead. The former Wealdstone player is clearly enjoying his more advanced role. The home side threatened, seven minutes later when a mix up between Nathan Ashmore and James Comley let Morgan Williams in but he was unable to find the target as his effort was cleared off the line. In a significant moment just before the break, Lewis outpaced the Yeovil defence and was denied by Grant Smith at the near post when he had a screaming Scott Boden in plenty of space to role the ball into the net.

HT: Yeovil Town 0 – 2 Boreham Wood

Unfortunately, it was to be a game of two halves with the home side dominating the second period. However, while the hosts, controlled possession in the early part of the second half, Wood looked comfortable and were set to hold on to their lead. This all changed on fifty-nine minutes when a trademark long throw from Tom Knowles caused confusion in the Boreham Wood penalty area and Morgan Williams was there to nod the ball home and reduce the deficit. Two minutes, later Knowles shot from distance, producing a good save from Ashmore. On sixty-five minutes, a poor tackle from Will Evans on the edge of the area gave Yeovil a free kick where former Boreham Wood player Luke Wilkinson produced a perfectly placed free kick to beat Ashmore and bring the scores level. Boreham Wood failed to threaten Yeovil after that, and the final period of the game was played mainly in Wood’s half without the host creating anything.

FT: Yeovil Town 2 – 2 Boreham Wood

Going into half time, with Boreham Wood winning and their play off rivals Grimsby Town and Dagenham and Redbridge losing and with Chesterfield having lost, there was a realistic scenario where Wood could finish in the play off places. However the turnaround in the second half, put paid to this. This will be seen as two points lost for Luke Garrard’s men and Boreham Wood. The Boreham Wood manager will want to finish the season positively in the final two matches away at Grimsby Town and at home to Solihull Moors.

Boreham Wood: Ashmore, K Smith, Evans, Comley, Stephens, Mendy Mendy, Raymond, Mafuta, Marsh, Boden (Clifton 81), Lewis.

Subs not used: Ashby-Hammond, C Smith, Joyce , Orsi.

Yeovil Town: Smith, Little (Reid 83), Wilkinson, Hunt (Barnett 90), Williams, Robinson, Gorman, Worthington (Barclay 90), D’ath, Neufville. Knowles.

Subs not used: Bradley, Yussuff.

Star Man: Dennon Lewis



Share This