Boreham Wood 2-1 Oxford City
Mangata Pay UK Stadium Meadow Park
16th December 3.00pm, Vanarama National League

Boreham Wood secured their second Vanarama National League win in a row with a hard-fought match against Oxford City with all the goals coming in an action packed first half. Wood raced into a two-goal lead with a Tom Whelan goal after three minutes and one from Tyrone Marsh on thirty-two minutes before Reece Fleet pulled one back for City, two minutes later.

Luke Garrard made two changes following last week’s FA Trophy defeat at Bath City with Cameron Coxe and Jahmari Clarke coming in for Charles Clayden and Angelo Balanta who dropped to the bench.

It looked like Wood were going to run away with it after a blistering start to the game. Tom Whelan’s shot was blocked by Canice Carroll before Tyrone Marsh’s follow up was cleared of the line by Andre Burley on two minutes. A minute later, Lee Ndlovu’s cross was turned in by Whelan to give Wood a welcome lead. Oxford, started to grow into the game and were able to start controlling a lot of the possession. On fourteen minutes, the visitors might have equalised when some excellent hold up play from Josh Parker, created a chance for Lewis Coyle whose shot was well save by Nathan Ashmore. A minute later, an excellent block from Wood defender Billy Sass-Davies denied Parker from equalising.

On twenty-five minutes, Jahmari Clarke curled a shot just wide for Boreham Wood. Eight minutes later, Tom Whelan was denied by City keeper Jack Bycroft before Marsh’s shot was cleared off the line by Burley. From the resulting corner. Marsh made no mistake with a header at the near post to double Boreham Wood’s lead. On thirty-four minutes, the visitors pulled one back when Parker played in Reece Fleet who finished well past Ashmore in the Wood goal. On forty-two minutes, Zac McEachran’s corner fell into the path of Nya Kirby who shot just wide. Three minutes later McEachran should have equalised for City, when after an excellent run, he shot wide with the goal gaping. Parker went close again for Oxford before the break before his shot was blocked by Chris Bush. Amazingly, this was the first time Boreham Wood have led at half time all season.


The half time break came at the wrong time for the visitors as they were never as fluent after the interval despite being the better side, leading up to the break. Despite this, McEachran went close again for City, soon after the restart. The next period of the game involved Wood controlling a lot of possession with neither side creating anything of note. On the hour mark Chris Bush’s long through was headed onto the post by Matt Robinson as Wood searched for the third goal. Six minutes later, Ashmore denied Aaron Williams-Bushell from distance. On eighty-one minutes, City keeper Bycroft denied Lee Ndlovu with a good save. Boreham Wood held on comfortably for the three points.

It was a good three points for Boreham Wood against one of their rivals at the wrong end of the table. This was Wood’s first back-to-back League wins of the season as they try to pull away from the relegation zone and it will stand the team in good stead for the local derby away at Barnet next Saturday.


By Brett Lewis

Boreham Wood: Ashmore, Coxe (Stephens 83), Sousa, Ilesamni, Bush, Sass-Davies, Payne, Whelan (Robinson 55), Clarke (Balanta 55), Ndlovu, Marsh
Subs not used: Sagaf, Clayden,

Oxford City: Bycroft, Williams-Bushell, Coyle, Burley, Roberts, Carroll, Kirby (Ofuso 85), Fleet, McEachrean (Potter 82), Parker, Smith (Sanderson 63)
Subs not used: McQueen, Humphrey-Ewers

Man of the match: Tyrone Marsh



Share This