Inconsistency Returns.

The Skrill South.

Hayes And Yeading United 1 Boreham Wood 0,

by John Mead.

Wood produced a lacklustre performance allowing the relegation threatened U’s to take a massive step towards safety. The afternoon led Manager Ian Allinson to bemoan, “ The inconsistency that we need to address. Days like this sets us apart from a team that can stake a claim to a play off place and a team that sits mid table. In truth I felt they all put in a shift, yet we were poor in the final third after opening them up on numerous occasions. We did not take our chances and got punished in a game where neither goalkeeper were asked to earn their money.”

In stark contrast to Wednesday nights thoroughly enjoyable contest in Hampshire, this was all about facing  a side fighting for survival. The first half was a forgettable affair, with the U’s obviously suffering from nerves, knowing that defeat would leave them staring into the abyss.

Pat Cox headed tamely over for the nomadic Middlesex side after 6 minutes, who were thankful for a superb challenge on Lee Angol from Luke Williams a minute later to keep them in the game.

Wood were wasteful from set pieces, in contrast to previous games as the tone was set.

Andrew Masunga hit a decent free kick that curled just past the upright without troubling James Russell.

Matty Whichelow forced  the first save of the game after 20 minutes after Ben Nunn played him through. With Junior Morias recalled to his parent club and Ricky Shakes rested there were no takers for a testing cross from Graeme Montgomery and the chance went begging.

Thankfully the game sprang to life immediately after the interval. Sam Cox thwarted the run of Niall McManus before releasing Kudos Oyenuga down the right with a fine ball up field. It asked a big question for the struggling side, yet Oyenuga who was leading goalscorer for the U’s last campaign shot wide of second choice keeper Charlie Crowley’s right hand post.

Two minutes later the U’s responded when McManus set up Geoff Mitchell with just Russell to beat. His shot lacked conviction and the nerves continued to jangle for the “home “ side.

Wood struck back when Nunn picked out Montgomery who hit a first time effort from the left side on his favoured foot. Crowley could only parry into the path of Oyenuga who slid in to prod wide of the post.

Angol shot wide when well placed, as Wood laboured looking for a decisive goal. He did test  Crowley minutes later, the keeper tipping a fine twenty five yard effort over the bar.

A piece of play from Matty Harriott finally sparked some belief into the home side. He was allowed to cut in from the right across the park unleashing a fine shot that was inches high of the target. Hayes won a corner immediately and Ben Gerring saw his header cleared off the line by Mario Noto, before Dean Inman headed over in the same attack.

Montgomery continued to struggle with his range hitting wide of the target before Mark Jones conceded a free kick on the right with nine minutes remaining. The delivery from just inside the Wood half found Pat Cox in a central position inside the Wood penalty area. He controlled and turned with his attempted shot only half cleared by Nunn falling for substitute Freddie Ladapo on the right of the six yard box. He smashed a shot that bounced before beating Russell, which began the dreams of survival. There was nothing left in the tank from Ian Allinson’s men and the narrow victory was vociferously celebrated by the small but loyal band of U’s fans, only their third in the last thirteen games, with the other two coming against already relegated Dorchester Town.

In summary Allinson added, “ Our lack of productivity in front of goal cost us dearly today. We had numerous chances to get ahead and force them to leave themselves open but it did not materialise. The lack of a cutting edge and desire needs to be addressed.”.

Team: Russell, Nunn, Jones, Cox, Hill, Reynolds, Noto, Whichelow ( Shakes75), Oyenuga ( Pires 75), Angol, Montgomery.

Subs not used: Morgan, Brown, Courtnage.

Goals: Hayes and Yeading United: Ladapo 81.


Bookings: Nunn, Noto.


Wood Man of the Match: Graeme Montgomery.


Share This