Sean Walsh Media

Halifax Town 2-1 Boreham Wood
Saturday 9th March 2024, 3:00 pm
The Shay, Vanarama National League

Boreham Wood suffered a disappointing defeat in West Yorkshire against play off chasers Halifax Town. Having gone behind early on to a goal from Florent Hoti they worked hard to get an equaliser through Lee Ndlovu on seventy-seven minutes before Luke Summerfield scored from the penalty spot three minutes later. This defeat puts Luke Garrard’s men in deep relegating trouble. Luke Garrard named an unchanged starting line up from last Saturday’s 1-1 draw against Gateshead.

Boreham Wood had a chance to go in front on four minutes when Chris Bush’s shot was blocked before Angelo Balanta fired wide. Two minutes later The Shaymen took the lead when Rob Harker’s shot cannoned off the post before Florent Hoti put it in. On eight minutes Jack Evans fired straight at Nathan Ashmore from distance. Soon afterwards, Luke Summerfield was just off target with a free kick and Tylor Golden forced Ashmore into a save.

On sixteen minutes Lee Ndlovu had a good chance for Wood but shot just wide. Halifax then continued to control the rest of the first half as Boreham Wood struggled to get their game together and gave away some silly free kicks. On forty minutes Summerfield went on a good run and rounded Ashmore but couldn’t find the right angle to get a shot in. Balanta had a shot blocked just before the break.



Three minutes after the restart, Kane Thompson-Sommers forced a good save from Ashmore and on fifty-seven minutes Cameron Coxe fired over for Boreham Wood. Three minutes later Bush forced Shaymen keeper Sam Johnson into a save, with a header from a Coxe corner. On sixty-six minutes a Mat Robinson pass picked out Kabs Tshimanga who forced Johnson into another good save. Eight minutes later, Bush had another good chance from a corner but this time, it was blocked by Adam Senior before an Ndlovu follow up was also blocked.

On seventy-six minutes Rob Harker nearly doubled Halifax’s lead but his shot was expertly dealt with by Ashmore. A minutes later, Wood equalised when a Tom Whelan free kick which hung in the air was brilliantly headed in by Ndlovu. However, three minutes later, the hosts restored their lead when Tylor Golden was brought down in the penalty area and referee Gary Parsons has no hesitation in pointing to the spot. Summerfield made no mistake from twelve yards to confirm the three points for Halifax Town.

Luke Garrard’s men have work to do if they are going to avoid the drop and avoiding ending their nine year stay in the National League. Its as simple as that. With nine “cup finals” left they must start putting some results on the board as they sit only three points and two places from the drop zone. They will go to Solihull Moors on Tuesday night desperate for something.


By Brett Lewis

Halifax Town: Johnson, Golden (Hunter 86), Stott, Senior, Evans, Thompson-Sommers, Summerfield, Hoti (Jenkins 90), Harker, Wright (Cosgrave 71), Oluwarbori

Subs not used: Scott, Chikukwa

Boreham Wood: Ashmore, Coxe, Ilesamni, Bush, Fyfield (Clayden 83), Sass-Davies (Agbontohoma 46), Payne, Balanta (Whelan 71), Robinson, Ndlovu, Tshimanga

Subs not used: Sagaf, Abraham

Man of the match: Lee Ndlovu 



Share This