FC Halifax Town 0-1 Boreham Wood
Saturday 8th May 2021, 3.00pm
The Shay Stadium, Vanarama National League

Ilesanmi’s ferocious strike in the 67th minute saw The Wood pick up a well-deserved three points on their travels at The Shay Stadium this afternoon.

The opening 15 minutes saw The Shaymen dominate the proceedings, less than five minutes in Tom Champion was required to be alert to intercept the ball to break up a very promising Halifax attack. Only three minutes later Mark Ricketts was called into action to prevent a Halifax goal. The Wood played themselves into trouble as Jack Hyde picked up the loose ball, however, his cross was knocked over the bar by the Wood’s number four.

Boreham Wood managed to work themselves into the game and dictated the tempo of the match. The first half-chance for The Wood presented itself from a free kick however Fyfield’s header did not trouble Sam Johnson in the Shaymen’s goal.

Debutant, Momodou Jallow, nearly got his career in a Wood shirt off to a perfect start but his shot was blocked from close range.

The Shaymen started the second half brightly, just as they did the first, Jack Hyde in the opening seconds failed to get his shot off in a promising position.

After knocking on the door for the majority of the second half Ilesanmi opened the scoring with a wonderful strike. In the 67th minute, Ilesanmi found himself in space on the left hand side and exploited the opportunity to strike towards goal from outside the box.

Further misery was piled onto The Shaymen as Danny Williams in the 73rd minute was shown a second yellow for stopping a Wood counter attack. Moreover, this foul joined with his earlier foul on Kane Smith in the first half gave the referee no choice but to give Williams his marching orders.

A rare scare for The Wood because soon after The Shaymen were reduced to 10 men they also had the ball in the back of the next. Fortunately, Campbell was ruled offside as the score remained with Wood’s one goal lead with 15 minutes remaining.

Halifax could not penetrate the resilient Wood defence in the closing stages as the Londoners walked away with all 3 points. The Wood return to Meadow Park next Saturday for the penultimate home game against more play-off chasing opposition in Wrexham.

Boreham Wood: Ashmore, Smith, Fyfield, Pearce, Champion, Ilesamni, Whitely, Ricketts, Murtagh, Tshimanga, Jallow (Stephens 73)

Subs not used: Green, Woodards, Marsh, Mafuta.

FC Halifax Town: Johnson, King (Campbell 68), Byrne, Clarke, Maher, Williams, Woods, Summerfield, Green (Earing 68) (Spence 71), Allen, Hyde.

Subs not used: Davison-Hale, Senior.

Star man: Femi Ilesanmi.

Match report written by John Scott.


Share This