Dagenham & Redbridge 1 -1 Boreham Wood
Tuesday 25th October 2022
Chigwell Construction Stadium, Vanarama National League


In a hard fought encounter, it was honours even at the Chigwell Construction Stadium where Zak Brunt’s goal was cancelled out by Myles Weston’s equaliser for Dagenham and Redbridge

Luke Garrard named an unchanged side from Saturday’s 1-1 draw with Wrexham. Lee Ndlovu made a welcome return to the bench following time out with injury.

First Half

In a quiet first half, it was Boreham Wood who forced a couple of early corners and Danny Newton was causing the Daggers defenders problems. He had Boreham Wood’s first shot on the fifth minute but only succeeded in hitting the side netting. Six minutes later, former Wood striker Junior Morias, excellent throughout, went on a fantastic run but he was unable to get his subsequent shot on target.

The hosts controlled a lot of the possession over the next period of the game without creating anything. In the last few minutes of the first half, Boreham Wood came to life. They should have taken the lead on forty minutes when a Zak Brunt corner was nodded back to Jack Payne who skyed his shot from a good position. Two minutes later, Dennon Lewis played in Cameron Coxe but his shot went agonisingly wide.

Second Half 

Boreham Wood started the second half the way they finished the first by putting pressure on the hosts. Will Evans went close with a header on fifty minutes, but it was cleared off the line. Three minutes later Luke Garrard’s men took the lead when Newton played in Brunt and his curling shot gave Elliot Justham in the Daggers goal no chance as it nestled in the corner.

Following Wood’s opener, the hosts started to grow into the game and controlled a lot of possession. Initially, they couldn’t break through a stubborn Wood defence. Then on seventy minutes a fantastic one two involving Junior Morias and Josh Walker enabled Morias to fire in a goal bound effort but somehow Nathan Ashmore produced an amazing save to deny the former Wood forward, Five minutes later, the hosts equalised when a Morias shot was blocked and fell into the path of Myles Weston who finished well past Ashmore. On eighty-one minutes Lee Ndlovu screwed a shot wide for Wood when well placed. In the final moments Morias went close again for the homes, but his effort was blocked.

It was a much better second half then first as the game ebbed and flowed after the break. Either team could have snatched it in the end. While Luke Garrard will be disappointed that Boreham Wood drew from a winning position, it was the right result on the balance of play. Boreham Wood maintain their unbeaten away record in the Vanarama National League as they head to a difficult away game at Chesterfield on Saturday.

Boreham Wood: Ashmore, Coxe, Lewis, Ilesamni, Stephens, Evans, Broadbent, Payne, Brunt (Ricketts 75), Marsh (Ndlovu 75), Newton (Elliott 85)

Subs not used: Rees, Williams

Dagenham & Redbridge: Justham, Hare, Onariase, Phipps, Smart, T. Johnson, Rance, Robinson, Sagaf, Morias, Walker

Subs not used: Strizovic, Mussa, Weston, Zouma, Blair

Man of the Match: Femi Ilesamni



Share This