A bitterly disappointing afternoon for Luke Garrard’s men at Meadow Park this afternoon going down 1-0 at home to a Wrehxam side who had been struggling of late.

It was by far the worst performance of season from Luke Garrard’s men who never managed to get out of first gear all afternoon.

That said Wrexham looked a well-equipped side and took control of the first half and really had Wood camped inside their own half for the first 20 minutes before the home side started to make inroads into the game.

Garrard was forced into one change from the side that drew with Guiseley. Skipper Mark Ricketts was injured during the week meaning a recall to the starting line-up for Bruno Andrade after only just returning form injury himself.

A free kick deep into the Wood box from John Rooney found Sean Newton unmarked at the far post. His header was tipped over well by Grant Smith.

John Rooney who had a busy first half had his strike from just outside the box pushed away after a nice build up by the visitors.

A mix up between Joe Devera and Kenny Davis allowed a Wrexham break which ended with Paul Rutherford’s shot being well saved by Grant Smith.

Wood’s two wide men combined well with Bruno Andrade playing in Anthony Jeffrey who done well to get past his man. His cross into the box found Angelo Balanta whose clever flick just flew over the bar.

Conor Clifford saw an effort off target after a neat interchange with Angelo Balanta, the closet the Wood came in the first half.

A poor pass by Anthony Jeffrey allowed Wrexham an attack. John Rooney into Jordan Evans who put his effort wide.

Kai Edwards was the first into the referee’s notebook after handling as Angelo Balanta headed towards goal. Bruno Andrade’s free kick just evaded Joe Devera who would only have had the keeper to beat.

Paul Rutherford almost put the Welsh side ahead, cutting in from the right his effort was heading towards the far corner but Grant Smith was equal to it pushing it away to safety.

Shortly after though it was John Rooney who gave Wrexham the lead a ball into the box was only half cleared and the Wrexham front man pounced to fire past Grant Smith.

Femi Ilesanmi had a rare burst forward, going past his man into the box before his shot was well blocked.

Angelo Balanta should have levelled for the Wood. Bruno Andrade after a mistake from John Rooney found Angelo Balanta. Shawn Jalal however was out quickly to block the Wood striker’s effort.

The game petered out with Wrexham shutting up shop, and Wood being unable to find a way through.

Boreham Wood: Smith, Nunn, Ricketts, Paine, Davis, Kuhl (Andrade), Jeffrey, Ilesanmi, Clifford, Balanta (Woodards), Devera

Subs: Uchechi, Mokes, Murrell-Williamson

Wrexham AFC: Jalal, Bencherif, Tilt, Rooney, Newton, Edwards, Carrington, Rutherford, R Evans, J Evans, Harvey

Subs: Barry, Powell, Harrad, McDonnagh, Marx.

Referee: Mr S Barrow







Share This