The Skrill South

Boreham Wood    1  –  1    Basingstoke Town

By John D. Gill

Boreham Wood included twenty year old forward Kudus Oyenuga, a Loan signing from Scottish Premiership side Dundee United, in the starting line-up for his First Team debut.

Oyenuga combined well with Junior Morias, who had an outstanding game, and they proved to be a constant threat to the Basingstoke Town defence.

DSC_0051The game started in sensational fashion when after only twenty-five seconds Graeme Montgomery put Wood 1 – 0 ahead.    A long ball forward was headed down by Junior Morias and Montgomery unleashed an unstoppable left footed shot over ‘keeper Louis Wells and into the net.

From that point on Basingstoke Town seemed to take control of the first half, as they battled to score an equalizer.    They put the Wood defence under a lot of pressure.    In the nineteenth minute James Russell made a fine save at the near post to prevent Louie Soares from scoring.    As play switched to the other end another Montgomery cross shot was held by Louis Wells and the ball was cleared.

Another Wood attack saw a Junior Morias cross deflected behind for their first corner of the game.    This was followed by a speculative long range shot from Morias.

The visitors Manny Williams then sent Shaun McAuley clear and James Russell made another good save to keep the shot out.    Basingstoke Town’s persistence paid off with an equalizing goal after twenty-seven minutes.    The impressive Matt Partridge scored with a close range header.

DSC_0188Soon after James Russell was in action again making a superb diving save to keep out a Louie Soares free kick.    Wood approached half time on the attack and Morias was tripped by Jay Gasson.    Graeme Montgomery’s free kick took a deflection off a defender straight in the arms of Louis Wells.    Then a Kudus Oyenuga free kick brought a good save from Louis Wells at the foot of the near goalpost.DSC_0168

Straight from the restart James Russell saved a speculative shot from left back Adam Green.    Wood retaliated and a Junior Morias shot struck the goalpost.    Matt Partridge shrugged off a challenge from Luke Garrard and saw his shot brilliantly saved by the diving Russell.    Wood’s second half performance improved and attacking moves saw both Oyenuga and Morias go close to giving them the lead.

Both teams made one Substitution in the eightieth minute, with Simon Dunn replacing Louie Soares and Lee Angol coming on for the tiring Kudus Oyenuga.    Three minutes from time goalkeeper Louis Wells received a yellow card for handling the ball outside his area, and Mario Noto’s free kick curled just wide of the far post.    As Wood attacked in the closing minutes they almost snatched a winner, but the game ended in a 1 – 1 draw.

After the game Wood Manager Ian Allinson commented “I thought it was a very tough game.    We were pleased to come in at half time 1 – 1, I felt we could easily have been two or three down.    In the second half we started to get organized and passed the ball better, we hit the post and they hit the crossbar.    In the end we had to settle for a draw, but I felt we could have nicked it!”

Team:    Russell, Nunn, Jones, Garrard, O’Loughlin, Reynolds, Noto, Cox, Morias, Oyenuga (Sub – Angol 80 mins.), Montgomery.

Subs (Not used):    Lobjoit, Whichelow, Brown, Courtnage.

Goals:    Boreham Wood:    Montgomery 1.            Basingstoke Town:    Partridge 27.

Man of the Match:    James Russell.

Photos by Sean Hinks


Share This