Boreham Wood 0-1 Altrincham
Saturday 16th March 2024, 3:00 pm
Mangata Pay UK Stadium Meadow Park, Vanarama National League

Boreham Wood lost their third league game in a row following a second half goal by Chris Conn-Clarke which gave Altrincham the three points and leaves Luke Garrard’s men one point and one place above the drop zone.

Luke Garrard made two changes in the starting line up from Tuesday night’s defeat at Solihull Moors with Erico Sousa returning from injury to replace Cameron Coxe at right wing back and Angelo Balanta replacing the injured Matt Robinson in midfield.

Boreham Wood started the match like an express train. In the first minute Mo Sagaf forced an excellent save from Robins keeper Ethan Ross when his shot looked like heading into the top corner. A minutes later Chris Bush forced an equally good save from Ross. Wood forced a succession of corners in the early stages too as they continued to threaten. Angelo Balanta went close on eight minutes, but his shot was wide. Eight minutes later an excellent one two between Kabongo Tshimanga and Lee Ndlovu ended with Tshimanga striking just over. On nineteen minutes Wood skipper Jack Payne was just off target too. Two minutes later, Jamal Fyfield’s cross got caught in the feet of Tshimanga with the net bulging and Jake Cooper was able to clear.

On twenty-four minutes the visitors had their first real attack of the afternoon and nearly took an unlikely lead. Justin Amaluzor placed in Chris Conn-Clarke who effort looked like heading into the far corner before Nathan Ashmore produced a spectacular save to keep it out. The Robins used this as a springboard to come back into the match and on twenty-nine minutes, the dangerous Amaluzor was denied by an excellent block from Fyfield. A minute later, the visitors went close again when Alex Newby dispossessed Sousa in midfield before supplying Conn-Clarke who teed up Newby who fired wide from a good position. On thirty-five minutes, Amaluzor struck the Boreham Wood post before George Wilson’s follow up was tipped over by Ashmore. Ashmore saved Boreham Wood again, nine minutes later with an excellent stop from Elliot Osborne. The hosts, who had been quite for a period, nearly scored just before the break but Jack Payne’s fierce shot was somehow blocked by Baines in the Robins defence.


Wood had a chance in the first minute of the second half when Ndlovu teed up Tshimanga for an overhead kick, but his effort was easily gathered by keeper Ross. On fifty-two minutes a Femi Ilesamni pass, played in Tshimanga who was somehow dispossessed by Baines, as he was about to pull the trigger. Three minutes later Tshimanga was played in by Balanta, but he was denied by an excellent save by Ross. On fifty-eight minutes, Wood were reduced to ten men when Bush was given a straight red card for a foul on Justin Donawa. They continued to control possession for a while afterwards but weren’t able to offer anything. Just like in the first half, the Robins grew into the game and Matty Kosylo’s effort was blocked by Fyfield on sixty-three minutes.

On seventy-two minutes Conn-Clarke gave Altrincham the lead with a well struck shot from outside the area. Ten minutes later Newby fired wide from a freekick. Wood search in vain for an equaliser in the last few minutes. Tyrone Marsh went close on ninety minutes but couldn’t keep his shot down and the Robins back line defended heroically to prevent anymore Boreham Wood chances.


If you are a neutral, it was a thoroughly entertaining game. However, that is no consolation for Boreham Wood, who lost an important match in their battle to beat the drop against a very good Altrincham side. Luke Garrard and his players will be desperate now as they go to champions elect Chesterfield next Saturday.

By Brett Lewis

Boreham Wood: Ashmore, Sousa, Ilesamni, Bush, Fyfield, Agbontohoma, Payne, Sagaf (Whelan 83), Balanta (Coxe 77), Ndlovu, Tshimanga (Marsh 83)

Subs not used: Sass-Davies, Clayden

Altrincham: Ross, Donawa, Jones, Baines, Cooper, Osborne, Kosylo (Angus 72), Amaluzor (Mooney 88), Wilson, Newby (Hancox 86), Conn-Clarke

Subs not used: Matt Gould, Roscoe

Man of the Match: Jamal Fyfield



Share This