Blue Square Bet South

 Boreham Wood    3    Farnborough    1

by John Mead

Outstanding performances from Graeme Montgomery and Omer Riza produced a fourth win in seven starts leaving Ian Allinson’s men fourth in the table after seven matches.

Maidenhead United climbed above Wood on goal difference with their 8 – 0 mauling of  Truro City who seem to have finally succumbed to their demons, a sad situation but one that may have ramifications for the whole League should they not be able to complete their Season.

Thankfully an expertly and professionally managed Wood went about their business in the searing heat, gaining three more valuable points.    It was in the face of adversity given the news that recent Loan signing Mauro Vilhete had picked up a groin strain whilst training with his parent Club Barnet just twenty-four hours prior to kick off, ruling him out for around five weeks.

Charlie O’Loughlin tested the ‘Boro defence several times with his aerial prowess in what was a very comfortable opening for Wood.    The growing understanding between Riza and Montgomery began to show the buds of a fruitful harvest when Riza played Montgomery through for a low drive across goal that visiting ‘keeper Craig Bradshaw was slow to react to.    On this occasion Montgomery was inches wide of the target.    Chez Isaac shot just over before Steve Laidler gave James Russell his first test of the afternoon with a well struck shot from outside the penalty area.

The Montgomery and Riza show led to the opening goal after nineteen minutes.    Looking for Riza who was well shackled by the ‘Boro defence,    Montgomery opted for a curling ball forward down the left which Riza appeared to over hit with his initial touch, before dragging the ball back, losing his marker and hitting an improbable goal.    His finish, an angled and measured lob left Bradshaw with no chance.

Reece Connolly almost immediately reduced the deficit, heading wide when he lost his marker from a free kick.

A  brilliant ball forward from Callum Reynolds found Riza who went close with a cross cum shot from the right, before Ben Nunn suffered a  costly lapse of concentration on the half hour.    The Wood right back gifted Dan Bennett the ball when positioned as the last defender. The ‘Boro man then coolly drifted past the out rushing Russell and despite the attention of Luke Garrard he maintained his composure slotting home into what was an empty net for the equaliser.

The game entered a period of uncertainty for Wood and they relied on Russell for a full stretch diving save to deny Nic Ciardini whose strong run into the area was their best attack of the half.    Wood were still producing the football but the visitors went close when Reece Connolly beat the offside trap squaring for Bennett who was outdone by a superb interception from the immaculate Reynolds.

Nunn had a shot blocked on the line by Marcus Moody, ending a fine move as Wood began to show what they are capable of in the second half.

Cliff Akurang and Greg Morgan replaced Inih Effiong and David Hutton as a stalemate in the sun looked a possibility.    The double substitution served to freshen up the Wood attack and when Riza showed fine footwork to escape with the ball out on the right he played inside for the industrious Isaac.    He went to ground just inside the penalty area under the challenge of Moody, leaving Riza the task of blasting home his second of the game from the spot, with eleven minutes remaining.

Any doubts regarding the outcome of the game were settled in some style three minutes later.    Playing out of defence down the right Montgomery, just twenty yards from his own goal line chipped the ball over a ‘Boro player before playing a intuitive one two with Riza who was wide on the right.    Montgomery continued his run fully fifty yards before before hitting a low shot into the bottom corner of the net. ‘Keeper Bradshaw was simply beaten by the power and speed of the strike.

Montgomery almost added a fourth when Riza again supplied with the resultant shot sailing just over.

In summary Ian Allinson commented, “It was a good result for us, eventually.    We started well then after conceding a sloppy goal we let Farnborough back into the game.    In fact were it not for James Russell we could have been left with an even harder task as he kept us in it. That said we brought on Greg Morgan and Cliff Akurang and that freshened things up, allowing us to finish off the job.”

With three key players now missing for the next three games due to suspensions Ian explained the clubs position.    “We are looking to bring in a centre half for the remainder of the Season.    With Elliott Buchanan leaving for Bromley we have made some funds available.”

Team:    Russell, Nunn, Jones, Garrard, O’Loughlin, Reynolds, Hutton (Sub – Morgan 66 mins.), Isaac, Riza, Effiong (Sub – Akurang 66 mins.), Montgomery.

Subs (Not used):    Close, Scott-Morris, Hastings.

Goals:    Boreham Wood:    Riza 19, 79(pen). Montgomery 82.            Farnborough:    Bennett 30.

Man of the Match:    Graeme Montgomery.


Share This