Boreham Wood secured their place in the next round of the play-offs, with a 2-1 win at home to AFC Fylde.  

A typically fast start from Luke Garrard’s side, saw them score twice within the first 20 minutes.

Jamie Turley opened the scoring, with a powerful header, before Bruno Andrade glanced a second over the ‘keeper.

Fylde pulled one back on the half-hour mark, through Simon Grand, but the Wood battled out the victory, with a resilient defensive display.

Garrard and his men will now travel to Sutton United on Sunday, May 6 (3pm) for the next round of the play-offs, with the carrot of Wembley, dangled infront of them.

A last-minute change saw Michael Folivi replace Morgan Ferrier up-front, while Danny Woodards came in at left-wing back for Ricky Shakes.

The Wood Army have become accustomed to fast starts by now, and yet again, Garrard’s side came up trumps in the first 20 minutes.

A corner from Andrade was met powerfully at the backpost by the towering head of Turley, who sent it past Jay Lynch.

The centre-back nearly had a brace shortly after, this time meeting a free-kick from Andrade, but he curled his effort inches wide with his right foot.

Fylde were unable to cope with the high intensity that Wood were playing at and Balanta was able to ghost into the area at a free-kick, but could only aim his strike into the hands of Lynch.

Andrade would then make sure that his side’s chances would count, he leapt above his marker to meet Folivi’s floated cross and looped a header over the ‘keeper and into the top corner.

Having gone two behind, Fylde grew into the game and Lewis Montrose had his side’s first effort of the half. He glanced a header just wide of Grant Smith’s right-hand post, following a free-kick from Sam Finley.

Danny Rowe has been one of the National League’s best performers this season, sitting second in the goal scoring charts. The striker showed exactly why, when he thrashed a dangerous 25-yard effort, inches wide.

The visitors kept themselves in the game, thanks to Grand. Grant Smith had done superbly with a reaction save from a close-range Montrose header, but Grand was there to head in the rebound.

Despite the goal, Wood remained alive to the Fylde threat and Turley charged back to slide the ball away from the feet of Jack Muldoon, who was all set to strike.

Andrade then curled a sublime free-kick towards the top corner of the Fylde goal, but somehow, Lynch tipped it wide. Champion then headed the resulting corner over.

David Stephens made a huge goal-line clearance shortly before half-time, heading Montrose’s effort clear.

The second half continued in a similarly intense fashion, and Andrade countered for the home side, he slipped past Grand, but could only drag his long-range strike wide.

Fylde saw an excellent chance go begging shortly after, when Lawlor fired over from close-range, after a cross by the continually troublesome Montrose. Turley was then back to make another huge block for his side, after Fylde counter attack, with Rowe at the heart of it.

Silky footwork from Andrade on the edge of the area took him past his marker, but his low cross was held by Lynch.

Andrade won a penalty for his side, having met a through ball and been hauled to the ground by Lynch. But, the stopper guessed correctly and saved his penalty.

Grant Smith needed to be at his best, to push a powerful long-range effort from Finley wide. Ricky Shakes then headed a ball clear at the back post, with a number of Fylde men lurking.

The Wood: G Smith, K Smith (Shakes 44’), Woodards, Ricketts ©, Stephens, Champion, Murtagh, Andrade, Turley, Balanta, Folivi (Quigley 87’)

Subs not used: Harfield, Doe, Davey

Fylde: Lynch, Montrose (Jones 77’), Francis-Angol, Tunnicliffe, Bond, Finley ©, Rowe, Muldoon, Grand (Hardy 63’), Smith (Blinkhorn 81’), Lawlor

Subs not used: Taylor, Stubbs


The Wood: Turley 5’, Andrade 18’

Fylde: Grand 30’

Attendance: 1,244


Share This