Boreham Wood suffered a devastating blow, as Sutton United scored a last-minute winner in a 2-1 victory at Meadow Park on Saturday.

The U’s initially went ahead inside 15 minutes, as Harry Beautyman opened the scoring.

Wood were level before half time, thanks to a Ricky Shakes volley and they continued to control the second half, before Craig Eastmond nicked it for the away side in the last minute.

Luke Garrard stuck with his 3-5-2 formation, as Charlie Cooper returned to the side in central midfield. Danny Woodards dropped out, as Ricky Shakes switched to right-wing-back.

There were bright early signs for the Wood, as they put together a lovely move to set up Justin Shaibu from close-range, but he was called back for offside, as he went to strike.

Cooper made an intelligent run around the back of Ralstan Gabriel as the forward charged at the defence. He attempted to slip through Cooper, but Sutton recovered to intercept.

Sutton undone the Wood’s positive early work in the 15thminute, as Beautyman connected with Gime Toure’s cross into the box and slotted past stopper George Legg.

Wood looked livelier following the opener and Gabriel was released through on goal, with Sutton’s centre-back pairing heavy on his tail. He looked up and lifted the ball over the top of Jamie Butler, but it drifted narrowly wide.

A corner then fell for Shaibu in the centre of the box, but he was unable to get a shot away amongst a crowd of bodies and the away side thumped clear.

Cooper attempted an ambitious 30-yard strike after catching Butler unaware, but the stopper recovered to save and hold.

Wood were rewarded for their hard work on the half-hour mark, as they drew level. Keiran Murtagh had slipped Femi Ilesanmi down the left and he whipped a fantastic ball into Shakes at the back post, who thumped it home on the volley.

Butler was forced into a vital save as Wood pressed for a second. The home side were through on goal, but Butler made himself large and blocked Shaibu’s shot. The rebound deflected off Cooper, but drifted wide.

They went close again minutes later as a long free-kick from Legg was headed down to Murtagh, who thundered a half-volley at goal, which Butler parried out.

A superb touch from Gabriel to take down a long ball put the Wood on the front foot, and he fed in Shakes, whose blazing effort was held by Butler.

The second half was a much quieter affair, as both teams struggled to get into their rhythm. Shaibu looked to round his marker on the edge of the area and fizzle an effort on goal, but his shot was blocked.

Brett Williams had been found unmarked on the edge of the box by Neset Bilikli after Sutton had won the ball from Idris Kanu, but David Stephens was back to make an absolutely vital block.

With the match heading for a draw, Sutton United caused carnage in the Wood area, as they took aim twice in amongst a sea of Wood shirts. Legg parried the first from Williams and Shakes cleared the second from Toure.

With the game heading for a draw, Sutton United caught the Wood off-guard to take a last-minute lead, with the final kick of the game. With Wood still tracking back, they took a short corner and Belikli delivered a cross towards the back post, which Eastmond headed home.

The Wood: Legg, Ilesanmi, Ricketts ©, Stephens, Shakes, Champion, Gabriel (Ash 76’), Murtagh. Fyfield, Cooper (Kanu 83’), Shaibu

Subs not used: Huddart, Woodards, Parry

Sutton united: Butler, Bennett, Beckwith ©, Bolarinwa, Toure, Kearney (Williams 76’), Eastmond, Beautyman, Deacon (Belikli 68’), Barden, Dobson

Subs not used: Worner, Ayunga, Mason


The Wood: Shakes 29’

Sutton United: Beautyman 15’, Eastmond 90+5

Att: 508 (98 away)


Share This