Boreham Wood let a one-goal lead slip at Mill Farm, as AFC Fylde came from behind to win 2-1 on Saturday.

Gozie Ugwu had put the Wood in front in the second half and they seemed set to hold onto the win, going into the final moments of the match.

However, late goals from Danny Rowe and Serhat Tasdemi flipped the game on its head on the brink of injury time.

Luke Garrard made two changes to the side who drew with Ebbsfleet United, as Manny Parry came in for the suspended David Stephens and Josh Umerah partnered Ugwu up-front.

After a tense opening five minutes, the match was given life by a penalty shout. Ugwu had sent Umerah one-on-one with Jay Lynch and he was brought down under pressure from Jordan Tunnicliffe, however, the referee waved play on.

Fylde had struggled to impose their passing style of play on the game in the early stages, but some slick interplay between Gime Toure and Danny Philliskirk set up the latter nicely, however Jamal Fyfield reacted quickest to clear.

Garrard’s side were doing a good job of keeping one of the league’s leading goal scorers quiet, and having seen little of the ball in the opening 25 minutes, Rowe hit an effort into the hands of Ryan Huddart, from 25-yards.

Further flicks and tricks from Fylde frontmen Toure and Philliskirk were blocked by the Wood backline, before Toure sliced a bicycle kick wide.

Parry then had to be at his best to sprint back and make a last ditch tackle on Toure, who had a sight of goal.

On the brink of the break, a chance fell to Umerah, following a flick by Ugwu. The forward couldn’t find a way past a host of Fylde defenders though and saw his shot deflected to Ricky Shakes. Shakes dropped his shoulder, but his strike was blocked wide.

The Wood returned for the second half with an improved tempo and an early Keiran Murtagh free-kick was headed over the crossbar by Fyfield. Rowe reacted for Fylde with a twisted volley, that rattled the woodwork.

Lynch was called into action once more, making an acrobatic save to pluck Fyfield’s header out of the top corner and around the post.

Wood’s goal came through a slick attacking move, as Fylde succumbed to the away side’s increased intensity going forward. Ugwu snuck in front of his marker at the back post and flicked Danny Woodards’ low cross past Lynch.

In an almost identical move just minutes later, Byrne was able to clear for the home team. Fyfield then weaved his way into the Gateshead area, but couldn’t find the target with his weaker right foot.

As the game edged towards the final 15 minutes, Fylde began to throw everyone forward, but again Rowe couldn’t find the target, sliding his shot past the near post.

The wood continued to stand firm, but Fylde eventually managed to find a way through. A counter attacking move from the home side was finished off by Rowe, who received the ball in the area, cut back and placed his strike into the bottom left corner.

The comeback was complete just a minute later, as a quickfire double crushed the Wood. This time, substitutes Ashley Hemmings and Tasdemir combined, with the former dragging it back for the latter, to smash past Huddart.

The Wood: Huddart, Woodards (Thomas 90’), Ilesanmi, Ricketts, Parry, Shakes, Champion, Umerah (Shaibu 75’), Murtagh, Fyfield, Ugwu

Subs not used: Burbidge, Ash, Smith

AFC Fylde: Lynch, Francis-Angol, Byrne, Tunnicliffe, Croasdale, Rowe, Philliskirk (Kellerman 81’), Burke, Toure, (Hemmings 81’) Williams (Tasdemir 67’), Houghton

Subs not used: Birch, Brewitt 


Boreham Wood: Ugwu 58’

AFC Fylde: Rowe 87’, Tasdemir 89’

Att: 1,345 (23 away)


Share This