Boreham Wood lost a two-goal lead in injury time in the Emirates FA Cup, as Dagenham & Redbridge earned themselves a replay with a 2-2 draw.

Josh Umerah had put the Wood ahead inside of 15 minutes at Meadow Park, after winning and converting a penalty.

Justin Shaibu doubled the home side’s advantage with little time remaining, but somehow Dagenham pulled it back in injury time, with Tomi Adeloye and Luke Pennell equalising.

Angelo Balanta came back into the side at attacking midfield, with Boreham Wood otherwise unchanged.

The Wood started brightly and there was an early sight at goal for Gozie Ugwu, but he curled his effort over the bar, from 20-yards.

The Daggers had provided little attacking spark in the opening exchanges and Harry Donovan couldn’t aim his header on target, following Chike Kandi’s cross.

Eliott Justham then brought Umerah down in the penalty area and the on-loan Charlton Athletic forward stepped up and smashed home the spot kick himself, to take the lead.

Continuing to be the Daggers’ most dangerous player, Kandi won the ball from Mark Ricketts in midfield and surged forward, but he curled it wide of the far post.

The forward failed to get onto the end of a cross from Liam Gordon though and the ball drifted out of play. Will Wright then headed over the crossbar for Dagenham at a corner.

A looping ball into the box from Ricky Shakes on the by-line was heading for Umerah, but he was unable to get onto the end of it.

Angelo Balanta threaded through Gozie Ugwu with a nicely timed pass, but Justham managed to beat him to the ball and hold onto it.

A long-range effort from Matt Robinson, following a headed clearance from Murtagh, soared over the crossbar

Ugwu drove forward for the Wood on the counter attack and had options in the box, but Ben Goodliffe was able to swipe his low cross clear.

A superb ball from Ugwu’s strike partner Umerah looped over the top of the away defence and towards the feet of Ugwu, but Justham snatched the ball from beneath him.

Femi Ilesanmi had provided a lively attacking presence down the left and flicked the ball past his marker down the wing, but his cross was thumped clear by Pennell.

The left-wing back then charged down the left again and pulled the ball into the box, but once again, Dagenham cleared.

A corner from Keiran Murtagh dropped to Ugwu in the area, but he lashed the strike over the bar from close-range.

Shaibu had been introduced for the Wood in place of Umerah and provided an immediate threat. He bolted forward with the ball at his feet and crossed low for the unmarked Ugwu in the box, but he couldn’t aim his shot on target and sliced wide.

The on-loan Brentford striker then took down a long-ball on his chest and sped around his marker, but Justham made a superb stop with his right hand to deny Shaibu.

The lead was doubled with three minutes remaining, as Shaibu received the ball from Ugwu and spun past his marker, before firing it into the bottom right corner, with a deft finish.

However, the Daggers were awarded an unexpected lifeline in injury time, when Femi Ilesanmi brought Tomi Adeloye down in the box. Adeloye took the penalty himself and drilled it past Ryan Huddart.

The comeback was complete in the 94th minute when the away side won the ball deep into the Wood half. Oliver Harfield crossed into the box and Luke Pennell headed past Huddart at the back post.

The Wood: Huddart, Ilesanmi, Ricketts ©, Parry, Shakes, Champion, Umerah (Shaibu 80’), Murtagh, Fyfield, Ugwu, Balanta

Subs not used: Burbidge, Thomas, Gibbs, Creese Ndiaye 

Dagenham & Redbridge: Justham, Nunn ©, Gordon (Harfield 73’), Robinson, Pennell, Donovan, Kandi (Munns 61’), Reynolds, Goodliffe, Wright, Mullings (Adeloye 61’)

Subs not used: Davey, McQueen, Moore, Leighton

Boreham Wood: Umerah 15’, Shaibu 87’
Dagenham & Redbridge: Adeloye 92’, Pennell 94’


Share This