It was a historic day at Meadow Park, as Boreham Wood beat local rivals Barnet 1-0, in the first ever league meeting between the two teams.

The game had been heading towards a stalemate, before substitute Bradley Ash netted just two minutes from time.

The win lifts the Wood up to 11th place in the National League, ahead of Saturday’s match against Maidstone United at home.

The Wood reverted back to their usual 3-5-2 formation, with Justin Shaibu and Gozie Ugwu leading the line.

There was an early sight of goal for the home side, as the ball dropped for Femi Ilesanmi in box, but he couldn’t find the target with a half volley.

The first chance for Barnet came a few minutes later, but Shaquile Coulthirst sent his header wide of the post, following a cross from Elliot Johnson. Jack Taylor then had a go from range, but it was straight at Ryan Huddart, who held.

The Wood began to take control of possession as the game grew on, but were struggling to create any real chances of note. Kieran Murtagh won possession deep in the Barnet half and fed Ricky Shakes, but he twisted his effort over the crossbar.

The Wood thought they were ahead on 37 minutes, when Ugwu met Murtagh’s curling cross, but somehow, Mark Cousins plucked the ball from the top right corner, with a superb diving save.

That would be as close as either side came in the first half, as a late free-kick by Taylor was cleared for a corner, which came to nothing.

There was a quite start to the second half, with a long-range shot from Cheye Alexander the closest either side came to opening the scoring, before the hour mark.

Barnet had begun to take control of possession, but Jamal Fyfield leapt highest the meet Murtagh’s corner in the box, heading it narrowly wide.

Murtagh showed his class when he lifted a teasing looped ball over the Barnet defence towards Ugwu, but Daniel Sweeney managed to hook it clear.

Shakes was then found in space down the left and crossed low for Shaibu, but Callum Reynolds beat him to it.

Substitute Bradley Ash showed excellent control to take down Huddart’s goal kick and play through Ugwu, but the forward was pulled back for offside.

Cheye Alexander and Medy Elito exchanged crosses from either wing, but Huddart was out once more to claim.

A cross pinballed around the Barnet box, before falling for Shakes, who lashed a volley just wide of the right post.

With the two sides still level, Murtagh drove forward with the ball at his feet, cut onto his left foot and thumped it from 20-yards, but Cousins held the effort.

There was drama right in the final stages though, as Ricky Shakes received ball on the edge of the area and slipped through the unmarked Ash. Ash took a touch and leathered the ball into the left corner, for his first Wood league goal.

The Wood then battled through four minutes of injury time, to seal the historic win.

The Wood: Huddart, Woodards (Thomas 81’), Ilesanmi, Ricketts ©, Stephens, Shakes, Champion, Murtagh, Fyfield, Ugwu, Shaibu (Ash 71’)

Subs not used: Burbidge, Parry, Smith

Barnet: Cousins, Alexander, Johnson, Reynolds ©, Robson, Adams, Harrison, Coulthirst (Barham 65’), Taylor, Fonguck (Elito 70’), Sweeney

Subs not used: Matrevics, Tutonda, Mason-Clark

Att: 1,894 (977 away)


The Wood: Ash 88’


Share This