Blue Square Bet South

Boreham Wood    3    Hayes & Yeading United    0

by John D. Gill

Boreham Wood stormed to their best win of three, including an F.A. Challenge Cup tie, against Hayes & Yeading United this Season, when the two Clubs met in the Blue Square Bet South, at Meadow Park on Monday evening.

Credit must go to Groundsman Daniel Hunter, who, despite heavy rain less than an hour before kick-off, kept the pitch in a playable condition.

Wood gave a First Team debut to Loanee forward Loick Pires, from Woking, whilst another forward, Stevenage’s Michael Thalassitis, began his second Loan spell with the Club, having previously played last Season.    Meanwhile, the visitors included two ex-Wood players, Sam Cox (Captain) and Daniel Brathwaite, in their starting line-up.

Early chances fell to Wood’s Graeme Montgomery and Hayes’ Daniel Wishart, but both were off target.    Michael Thalassitis was only just wide of the goal with a powerful shot after eighteen  minutes.    The visitors Daniel Brathwaite sent over a powerful cross from the left, but Alasanne N’Diaye headed wide at the far post, as the first half progressed.    Wood attacked again just before the interval when Montgomery and Thalassitis exchanged passes, and the latter was just wide of the far post with his shot.    Then Greg Morgan shot just over the crossbar, when well placed in the penalty area.

Soon after the restart Wood’s attacking full back Ben Nunn moved forward but shot wide of goal from twenty-five yards.    Wood finally broke the deadlock after fifty minutes.    Michael Thalassitis raced clear of the Hayes defence, but his shot crashed against the crossbar.    The ball was cleared but it was quickly intercepted by Loick Pires who crossed from the left to Thalassitis at the far post, and this time he sent a powerful header past ‘keeper Brandon Hall.

Five minutes later Wood went 2 – 0 ahead, following a blatant hand ball in the penalty area.    Mario Noto stepped up and smashed the penalty kick into the corner of the net.    Wood were now in total control of the game and a long ball forward sent Graeme Montgomery clear through the centre and he unleashed an unstoppable shot to give Wood a deserved 3 – 0 lead after sixty-five minutes.

Thalassitis had another shot at goal, but the ball went wide of the target.    In the last quarter of the game Wood changed its attack with Substitutes Lewis Toomey and Cliff Akurang replacing Noto and Thalassitis.

Hayes & Yeading United finished the game with ten men when Substitute Kudus Oyenuga was sent off for a bad tackle on Ben Nunn.    The last action of the night came three minutes from time when Lewis Toomey raced clear on the right and crossed to Chez Isaac, but his downward goal bound header was brilliantly saved by ‘keeper Brandon Hall.

Team:    Russell, Nunn, Jones, Noto (Sub – Toomey 73 mins.), O’Loughlin, Reynolds, Morgan, Isaac, Thalassitis (Sub – Akurang 85 mins.), Pires (Sub – Garrard 87 mins.), Montgomery.

Subs (Not used):    Beckles and Hastings.

Goals:    Thalassitis 50, Noto (pen.) 55, Montgomery 65.

Bookings:    O’Loughlin, Morgan, Isaac, Pires and Toomey.

Man of the Match:    Michael Thalassitis.


Share This