Boreham Wood have risen up to fifth in the National League, thanks to a 2-3 win away to Dagenham & Redbridge.

A brace from Bruno Andrade either side of half time, and a third from Angelo Balanta secured the emphatic victory.

The Daggers twice closed the deficit, thanks to goals from Michael Cheek and Dan Sparkes.

However, the Wood were able to hold onto their lead and play out the remaining minutes.

Joe Quigley came straight into the starting eleven, following his loan move from AFC Bournemouth, as Ricky Shakes slotted in at wing-back, alongside an unchanged back three

The Daggers started the match on the front foot and Grant Smith was forced to parry wide from a clever Luke Howell back heel.

Howell then turned provider and fed through Morgan Ferrier, but he was unable to do any more than strike into the hands of Smith.

The Wood countered from Ferrier’s missed chance and Bruno Andrade was on the end of the attack, to sweep the ball past Mark Cousins.

Having taken the lead, the Wood continued to press, with Quigley sprinting forward with the ball at his feet, but his threaded pass to Shakes, was cleared.

On the counter once more, Andrade curved a low ball across the box, but the Daggers defence sliced it wide.

A deflected ball then fell sweetly for Fejiri Okenabirhie, but he lumped his effort over the crossbar, from the edge of the area.

Ferrier was found at the far post by Luke Howell at a corner, but he sliced his shot and the Wood pumped clear. The visitor’s backline then threw themselves at three Daggers efforts, blocking each one.

Still on the attack, Ferrier blasted at Smith, but he once again had the better of the forward and parried wide, before Okenabirhie sliced his strike across the goalmouth and out.

Luke Garrard’s side returned from the interval with fresh legs and Keiran Murtagh won an early penalty, he had gotten around the outside of his marker, before being hauled to the ground. Andrade stepped up to thump the penalty past Cousins.

Andrade had been a menace for the Wood all game and skinned his marker down the left, he flashed the ball across the goal, but no one could get onto the end of it.

Wood stopper Smith was then called into action once more, acrobatically pushing Cheek’s header from the top corner.

However, shortly after, Cheek did have his goal, he had jumped above his marker and headed past Smith.

But their celebrations didn’t last long, as Angelo Balanta added a third for the Wood. The Columbian had won the ball in the middle and sprayed it down the left for Quigley; he dragged the ball into the area and Howell’s clearance clashed off his own defender, before Balanta smashed past Cousins.

The Wood could have had a fourth minutes later, Andrade drove it low across the area, Quigley missed and Balanta then saw two strikes blocked.

Substitute Corey Whitely countered for the Daggers, but Murtagh was back to make a superb sliding challenge. Doe then headed over from Sparkes’ corner.

Andrade glided past Doe with the ball and fired at Cousins, but it was blocked and drifted past the trailing leg of Balanta.

It would prove to be a tense ending to the match for the Wood, as Sparkes nipped in to poke past Smith for a second Daggers’ goal, after the visitors had shut off at the back.

Following the Daggers’ second goal, five additional minutes were announced the fourth official. However, the Wood were able to remain composed and see out the remaining minutes.

The Wood: G Smith, K Smith, Ricketts (C), Shakes, Champion, Murtagh, Andrade (Woodards 76), Quigley (Jeffers 80), Turley, Balanta, Davey

Subs not used: Turgott, Chesmain, Jarvis

Dagenham & Redbridge: Cousins, Howells, Robson (C), Lokko, Ling, Robinson (Sparkes 65), Boucaud, Howell (Whitely 58), Feffier, Okenabirhie (Doe 65), Cheek

Subs not used: Moore, Kandi


The Wood: Andrade 12’, 48’, Balanta 95’

Dagenham & Redbridge: Cheek 55’, Sparkes 90’

Attendance: 1, 117 (47 away)


Share This