Boreham Wood scored a 90th minute equaliser to earn a 1-1 draw away to Aldershot Town on Tuesday night.

The Shots had taken the lead through Adam McDonnell on the brink of half-time, in a tight first 45.

However, the home side were delivered a sucker punch at the death, as David Stephens fired home a leveller on his return from injury.

Luke Garrard made three changes to the side who beat Bromley on Saturday, with Gozie Ugwu, Josh Umerah and Danny Woodards all coming into the starting 11 today.

There were early sights at goal for both sides, as Umerah saw a shot well blocked by George Fowler and at the other end, Scott Rendell sent an effort soaring over the bar.

Confident on the back of his goal against Bromley on Saturday, Ugwu attempted an ambitious self-set bicycle kick inside of the area, but it went over the crossbar.

It had been an end to end start to the game and Adam May edged forward for Aldershot in their latest attempt, but he swung his shot high and wide, from distance.

The Wood’s blushes were spared when an effort from McDonnell deflected off Woodards and only narrowly edged past the post.

Smart build-up play from the Shots saw them move the ball from right to left with pace. Lewis Kinsella dragged it across the box and Shamir Fenelon pulled it back, but Matt McClure lashed it over.

There was a reaction from the away side as Sorba Thomas bombed down the right and passed to Ugwu. He dummied for Shakes, who then fed Ugwu through on goal, but Aldershot got a foot in to block.

Wood were finding their rhythm and fizzed the ball across the pitch once more. This time it was Umerah who received it from Thomas and he fed Woodards down the left, but the wing-back dragged his shot wide.

The Shots then took the lead on the brink of half-time. Bernard took a throw-in to Rendell, who played it back to the defender. Bernard teed off McDonnell on the edge of the area and he feigned a shot, before sliding it through a sea of Wood defenders and into the bottom corner.

The ever-improving Thomas ran at Kinsella, feigned to his left, and then drilled it across the box with his right, but it was blocked away.

Garrard’s side were lucky to remain one down as Fenelon hit a low shot from 20-yards, that Huddart let slip through his fingers, but thankfully, he clawed it off his line in time.

Thomas whipped a cross in from the right that escaped the Shots’ defenders, but Umerah couldn’t reach it on time. Shakes recycled it on the left and his low cross was blocked for a corner, which came to nothing.

Huddart then pulled off a superb save to deny Shots’ substitute Luke Wanadio. The forward had struck Fenelon’s cross first time, but the Wood stopper was down fast to deny him from close-range.

Wood broke and Ugwu met the ball down the right-wing. He attempted to lob Will Mannion, but the stopper backtracked to catch.

Rendell twice met balls with his head deep inside of the Wood box, but Huddart was equal to them both, catching the first and acrobatically tipping the second across his right post.

Time was running out at the Recreation Ground and a late chance went begging for the away side. A pin-point cross from Thomas was met by Manny Parry, but somehow Mannion clawed it out of his top right corner with an excellent save.

However, just as six minutes of injury time were shown on the clock, Wood had their equaliser. A corner dropped to Stephens inside of the area and the defender took a touch before sneaking it between the legs of Mannion with his left-foot.

The Wood: Huddart, Woodards (Shaibu 79’), Ricketts ©, Parry, Shakes, Champion, Umerah, Fyfield, Thomas, Ugwu, Smith (Stephens 66’)

Subs not used: Burbidge, Hackett-Fairchild, Gibbs

Aldershot Town: Mannion, Kinsella, McDonnell, Fowler, Fenelon (Howell 83’), Rendell ©, McClure (Wanadio 44’), Bernard, Lelan, Gallagher, May

Subs not used: Cole, Booty, McCoy

Att: 1,419 (31 away)


The Wood: Stephens 90’

Aldershot Town: McDonnell 45+2’


Share This