Boreham Wood were knocked out of the Buildbase Trophy by in-form National League North side Blyth Spartans, at Croft Park on Saturday.

Dan Maguire netted a 26th minute opener, which was enough to see the home side through into the next round of the competition.

Luke Garrard made two changes from the side who drew with Dagenham & Redbridge, as 19-year-old academy product Fred Burbidge came into the side in place of Ryan Huddart, while Sorba Thomas replaced Sean Shields.

There was an early sight of goal for the home side, as Robbie Dale won the ball in the centre of the pitch and fed through Maguire, but the forward planted his effort well wide of the far post.

Thomas stretched the Spartans full-back down the left, but his cross was overhit and missed the on-rushing Idris Kanu.

A twisted cross from Kanu down the right was headed back across the box by Thomas and scrambled clear by Nathan Buddle, but only as far as Mark Ricketts, who volleyed over.

Lovely interplay from Connor Oliver and Maguire sent the latter through on goal, but his shot was miss-hit and Burbidge gathered with ease.

The National League North outfit took the lead shortly before the half-hour mark, when Maguire beat Jamal Fyfield and Femi Ilesanmi to a lofted ball over the top of the defence from Oliver. The forward twisted, and fired past Burbidge from close-range, for his 150th Spartans’ goal.

Full of confidence from their opener, Jamie Holmes attempted an effort from 20-yards which swerved awkwardly for Burbidge, but he managed to parry into the path of Dave Stephens, who thrashed clear.

Kanu, Keiran Murtagh and Ricky Shakes all exchanged passes on the attack and Murtagh released Shakes down the right, but his cross was blocked wide for a corner, which came to nothing.

Holmes was found at the far left of the Wood box, but could only slice his effort into the side netting.

In the first real opportunity of the second half, substitute Danny Woodards met Thomas’ corner with a diving header, but Peter Jameson gathered.

Kanu then done well to get around his marker Liddle down the right, but his low cross was blocked for a corner, which came to nothing.

Oliver then tried his luck from range on the counter attack, but Burbidge parried his attempt and then dived upon it to hold.

There was an almost immediate impact the home side’s first substitution. Forward Bradley Fewster went one-on-one with Burbidge, but the Wood stopper was down low to make an excellent parry, and then claw it safely into his grasp.

With just ten minutes remaining for the Wood to find an equaliser, Woodards sent a powerful low ball across the penalty area, that narrowly evaded the on-running Thomas.

The Wood: Burbidge, Ilesanmi, Ricketts ©, Stephens, Shakes, Champion (Woodards 45’), Murtagh, Fyfield, Thomas, Kanu (Ash 71’), Shaibu

Subs not used: Courtnage, Parry, Morgan

Blyth Spartans: Jameson, Nicholson, Liddle, Green (Rivers 76’), Buddle, Watson, Holmes (Mullen 90+2’), Oliver, Maguire (Fewster 83’), Reid, Dale ©

Subs not used: Mullen, Wrightson, Watson


Blyth Spartans: Maguire 26’

Att: 712


Share This