After five clean sheets and a fantastic victory over Lincoln City in midweek Luke Garrard’s men came back to ground with a bump after a defeat to relegation threatened Southport on Saturday afternoon.

It was a lovely afternoon in Merseyside with the sun shining and Garrard was forced into one change from Tuesday’s victory. Ben Nunn missed out owing to injury. Ricky Shakes slotted back into right wing back and Morgan Ferrier regained his starting spot.

Owing to the lovely hot afternoon it was a very dry surface which saw a tennis ball bounce and the ball not skidding off the surface.

Morgan Ferrier found space out on the left flank, bursting into the box but with no end product the Wood attack swiftly ended.

Richard Brodie was then in trouble with the referee after a late and poor tackle on Ricky Shakes. The Journeyman who has had no less than four clubs this season was cautioned by the referee.

Just moments later David Stephens also went into the referee’s notebook. Although not exactly sure what for although can only assume it was for a tackle moments earlier in which the referee played advantage. However to brandish a yellow card was extremely harsh.

Louis Almond who was the standout player for Southport all afternoon forced Grant Smith into a save although his weak shot caused no alarm to the Wood keeper.

Wood then went back to front very quickly, a clipped ball down the line from Joe Devera found Ferrier who hooked a ball into the box which Kenny Davis met on the volley. His effort forced King into a save but with any real connection the Wood could have taken the lead.

Stephens conceded a free kick 25 yards out. Almond though he would try his luck and tested Grant Smith who could only gather at the 2nd attempt.

Woods best chance of the half came close to half time. A corner from Kenny Davis found Matt Paine whose clean header was tipped over by King.

Just a minute into the second half Wood really should have taken the lead. Bruno Andrade broke the offside trap and should have scored but shot straight at king who saved for a Wood corner.

Almond got the better of Danny Woodards down the right and whipped in a dangerous cross which Stephens did well to clear.

A clever and quick free kick from the Wood found Femi Ilesanmi – who played the ball inside to Stephens who shot first time and saw his effort blocked.

Then came the opening goal of the game and a sucker punch for Wood, but a crucial goal for Southport if they are to get out of the trouble that they find themselves in. A poor goal kick from Grant Smith allowed Southport to attack and from the ball that came into the box, it fell nicely to Nolan who made no mistake from just 5 yards out.

Garrard had to gamble and put on Jason Williams and ended up playing with four up top. Hitchcock and Stephens won a couple of headers but nothing anyone could feed of and Southport managed to see the game out to give them the three points and keep their slim chance of staying up alive.

Garrard now turns his attention to Saturday and the visit of Macclesfield Town.


Share This