Boreham Wood picked up a solid point on the road at Play-off chasing Solihull Moors on Saturday.  

It was a game in which the Wood controlled large parts, without creating any real goal scoring opportunities.

The result leaves the side in 11th place on 27th points, going into the FA Cup weekend.  

Jamal Fyfield slipped into the left-wing-back position, with Dave Stephens returning at centre-back. Meanwhile, Keiran Murtagh returned in central midfield.

Josh Umerah went closest in a quiet opening 10 minutes, with a scuffed half-chance that deflected off a defender and away from danger.

The game continued in much the same vein, with both teams looking strong at the back, without possessing enough of an attacking threat.

Looking to create a chance out of very little, Danny Wright won the ball off David Stephens deep inside of the Boreham Wood half. He played it across field to Jamie Reckord on the left, but his cross was headed wide by Kyle Storer.

A miss-hit cross from Wright was also miss-hit by its recipient Darren Carter, but it deflected off Adi Yussuf and nearly found its way into the bottom corner, only narrowly going wide.

Having soaked up the early Solihull pressure, the Wood won a free-kick on the half-way line, which Murtagh sent into the box. It was only cleared as far as Manny Parry by Moors, but he volleyed it straight at a defender.

The Moors had their best chance of the half on the brink of half-time, but Alex Gudger could only head over the bar, following a free-kick by Jamey Osborne.

Moors substitute Kwame Thomas attempted to spark the game into life with an inventive overhead kick inside of the area, but it went over the woodwork.

In reaction, Stephens headed Ryan Huddart’s long-freekick across the box, but the Moors defence beat Fyfield to the travelling ball. The ball was recycled, but Parry could only nod past the post.

Umerah countered with pace through the middle and looked to thread the ball to his strike partner Gozie Ugwu, however, it was overhit and Liam Daly intercepted.

Ricky Shakes made a superb interception, after Storer had been found in space down the right-flank, getting a foot in, just as he went to strike at goal.

A slick exchange of passes between Sorba Thomas, Tom Champion and Justin Shaibu allowed the latter to wriggle around Gavin Williams, but the defender recovered to nick it out for a corner.

The subsequent set-piece pinballed around the area, but no one was able to get it over the line.

Luke Maxwell fired a late free-kick over the crossbar, all but confirming the draw.

The Wood: Huddart, Woodards (Hackett-Fairchild, 79’), Ricketts ©, Parry, Stephens, Shakes, Champion, Umerah, Murtagh (Murtagh 42’), Fyfield, Ugwu (Shaibu 75’)

Subs not used: Burbidge, Gibbs

Solihull Moors: Boot, Williams, Reckord, Storer, Daly, Gudger, Osborne (Maxwell 85’), Carter, Yussuf (Carline 79’), Wright, Stenson (Thomas 22’)

Subs not used: Flowers, O’Keffee

Att: 803


Share This