Boreham Wood and Ebbsfleet United played out an entertaining 0-0 draw at Meadow Park on Saturday.

It was a match full of attacking intent, although neither side were able to find that extra bit of quality to take the lead.

Luke Garrard made three changes to his side, bringing Tom Champion back in at centre-back, while Femi Ilesanmi returned at wing-back and Justin Shaibu slotted in up-front.

The Fleet started the brighter of the two sides and former Wood academy graduate Corey Whitely got onto the end of three early chances, but couldn’t send any of them past Ryan Huddart.

Justin Shaibu, who had netted three goals in five matches in November, had earned a start and nearly crafted a chance from nothing on the by-line, but Gozie Ugwu was unable to get onto the end of his dangerous low cross.

The Wood’s next chance came through the mercurial Keiran Murtagh, but his powerfully hit free-kick was blocked wide for a corner, which came to nothing.

Danny Kedwell then won the ball from the Wood defence deep in the home side’s half, but he drove it from range and couldn’t find the target.

Whitely saw another chance go begging, as he failed to get onto the end of a low cross from Sean Shields, following a superb counter attacking move.

Wood started to grow into the game following the early Ebbsfleet dominance and some slick play saw the ball travel from right to left through Danny Woodards, Keiran Murtagh and Femi Ilesanmi. The wing-back crossed for Shaibu, but his snap shot was blocked.

The ball was recycled and Shaibu found himself with a sight at goal, but couldn’t send it past Ashmore from a tight angle.

The second half continued in much the same vein and Ugwu tried his luck from range early on, but he thumped it into the hands of Ashmore.

A superb forward ball from Murtagh to Ilesanmi was headed dangerously across his own box by David Winfield, but Nathan Ashmore was alert to claim.

Substitute Reise Allassani was brought on for Ebbsfleet and provided a more direct and Pacey threat for the away side. The winger countered after connecting with Andy Drury’s long-ball and had a sight at goal, but Huddart made an excellent save to deny him from close-range.

Huddart was then needed again with under 10 minutes to go and he had to react quickly to flick Winfield’s headed of the line with his left boot.

There was one final chance for the Wood when Bradley Ash was found in the visitor’s penalty area, but he could only twist his shot around the post.

The Wood: Huddart, Woodards (Thomas 62’), Ilesanmi, Ricketts ©, Stephens, Shakes, Champion, Murtagh, Fyfield, Ugwu (Umerah 62’), Shaibu (Ash 74’)

Subs not used: Parry, Smith

Ebbsfleet United: Ashmore, Magri, Winfield, Clark, Kedwell (Cheek 59’), Drury, Coulson (Allassani 59’), Payne, Shields (McQueen 79’), Whitely, Bush

Subs not used: King, Wilson

Att: 724 (201 away)


Share This