Boreham Wood earned what could prove to be a vital point in their bid to stave of relegation from the National League, in a 2-2 draw with promotion chasing Solihull Moors.

Luke Garrard’s men had to twice come from behind, after an own goal from Jamal Fyfield and a second half strike by Adi Yussuf put them ahead.

Sandwiched between those two goals was a poacher’s effort from Ralstan Gabriel, before Idris Kanu levelled it once again, late on.

Wood manager Garrard reverted back to a 3-5-2 formation against Tim Flowers’ men, with Mark Ricketts returning to skipper the side, following his one-match suspension.

The first chance of the game was fashioned by some battling work from Gabriel, who squeezed through two defenders on the left-wing, before flashing it low across the box, but Solihull Moors cleared.

The Wood went behind shortly after through some misfortune in their own box. Nathan Blissett broke away from his marker to latch onto a through ball and he saw his initial shot well saved by George Legg. However, the save rebounded off the backtracking Fyfield and crashed in off the right post.

Wood looked to battle their way back into the game and restricted the away side to further attacking opportunities. Gabriel’s pressing play was a thorn in Flowers’ side and he done well to win the ball down the left, but his marker recovered to nick it away.

A scuffed shot from Darren Carter that went wide saw the Wood counter from the subsequent goal kick. Femi Ilesanmi and Keiran Murtagh swapped passes before the full-back delivered a perfect cross onto the head of Gabriel, but he could only nod wide.

The Wood got the equaliser they deserved not long after though. David Stephens met Murtagh’s corner with a powerful header, which was cleared off the line. Gabriel made the most of the resulting chaos in the box and snuck around his marker to nod home the loose ball.

They could have then taken the lead as well, as Danny Woodards swept a cross through the box, towards Ilesanmi. Blissett got a boot in the way though and cleared the ball, with the referee waving away calls for a penalty.

The away side returned to the second half with an increased attacking intent and an early free-kick from Kyle Storer found Yussuf in the box, but his shot was blocked. Blissett snapped up the afters, but blasted his effort straight at Legg, who pushed it over the bar.

Again, Storer and Blissett were at the heart of an attack as the former recycled a Carter free-kick for Blissett, but he headed wide.

Legg had to again be at his best to deny Yussuf from close-range. The forward had gotten in front of his marker to smash a low cross at goal, but Legg reacted quickly to block.

Looking to regain some control of the game, Justin Shaibu pressed his marker and done brilliantly to win the ball on the edge of the box, but Liam Daly recovered to make a block.

Solihull Moors were back in front on the 70thminute, as they countered with pace and Yusuff met a low cross from Jermaine Hylton, which he tucked past Legg.

Wood would do well to equalise for a second time against the team with the third best goal difference in the league, but pushed Flowers’ men hard.

Their chance came two minutes from time, as Ilesanmi recycled a cross from Bradley Ash, which was met by Kanu and thumped across goal and past Ryan Boot.

The Wood: Legg, Woodards (Kanu 72’), Ilesanmi, Ricketts, Stephens, Shakes, Champion, Gabriel (Ash 77’), Murtagh, Fyfield, Shaibu

Subs not used: Huddart, Parry, Cooper

Solihull Moors: Boot, Williams, Reckord, Storer, Daly, Gudger, Osborne (Hawkridge 80’), Carter, Yussuf (Stenson 88’), Hylton (Sbarra 72’), Blissett

Subs not used: Carline, Maxwell, Sbarra


The Wood: Gabriel 25’, Kanu 88’

Solihull Moors: Fyfield (O.G.) 9’ Yussuf 70’

Att: 478 (76 away)


Share This