Boreham Wood’s Under 19s claimed the Champion of Champions title for the second year running, with a 5-2 victory over Guiseley.

However, they had to come behind, as Guiseley took an early lead. A free kick was headed onto the crossbar and thumped home by George Gomersall.

The reaction from Cameron Mawer’s side was first class and Dan Creese spurned a chance to level the scores, heading inches over the crossbar, from a Sorba Thomas cross.

A weaving run from the forward took him past three markers, before the ball found its way to Alex Morgan in the area, but his effort was saved well by Fletcher Paley.

Edging closer to an all-important equaliser, Thomas sent a cross narrowly in-front of the outstretched legs of both Jack Gibbs and Morgan.

The goal finally arrived, thanks to a sublime passing combination. Archie Pepper split the defence with a threaded ball to Morgan, who rounded the ‘keeper and teed off Iliman Ndiaye to sink home.

The goal was short lived though, as Guiseley went in-front once again. The dangerous Tabish Hussain beat Sam Walsh down the left, before Kayle Price pulled it back for Jack Lazenby to place past Fred Burbidge.

Goals continued to flow, with Mawer’s U19s levelling the scores once again, through another excellent passage of play. Morgan swung the ball down the right channel for Creese, who drove it first time into the area for Charlie Wickham to knock past Paley, with his first touch.

The second proved the springboard to take the lead, with the young Wood completing the comeback in under 15 minutes. Thomas’ free-kick was met by the head of Ionut Radu and it looped over Paley.

Radu nearly had a second of the game, with another header, but the Guiseley stopper held.

The under 19s returned for the second half hungry to extend the lead, but Ndiaye saw his early effort saved by the ‘keeper, following a driven ball by Creese.

Radu did earn himself a brace in the second half, when he thumped home a loose ball in the area, after Gibbs’ strike had been clawed off the line by Paley.

The young Wood were relentless in their attacking play, as Guiseley looked to get back into the match. On the counter, Thomas lifted a ball above his marker, with a deft touch, before swinging a cross in for Morgan, but it was deflected wide.

Further breathing space was awarded to the Wood, as they netted a fifth, thanks to a delicate half-volley from Morgan.

With four minutes of injury time, Guiseley knew they had little time to salvage the game, but Lewis Waddington went close, with a well-timed head, but it was nodded over.

Wood XI: Burbidge, Walsh, Wickham, Watson-Noel, Radu, Gibbs, Creese, Pepper, Morgan, Ndiaye, Thomas  


Boreham Wood: Ndiaye, Wickham, Radu, Radu, Morgan

Guiseley: Gomersall, Lazenby


Share This