Boreham Wood recorded their first win of the season as they beat Solihull Moors 4-1 at Meadow Park.

Luke Garrard’s side went behind in the 31st minute when Fiacre Kelleher scrambled a ball past Smith.

But within a minute the Wood had equalised, a similar goalline scramble was poked home by Jamie Turley (32). 

An overhead kick from Paul Benson (43) sandwiched in-between goals from Bruno Andrade (38) and Angelo Balanta (59) then secured the win for the home side. 

The Wood remained in their usual 3-4-1-2 formation, with the returning Dave Stephens dropping into the backline in place of Ryan Johnson.

Poor starts have troubled the Wood so far this season, but they were almost ahead inside the first minute, an early corner was crashed against the crossbar by the head of Balanta.

Jamie Turley then attempted to stab Andrade’s curling free-kick kick goal wards, but the Moors defence blocked for a corner.

Keiran Murtagh was on free-kick duties and delivered a curling ball into the box, Stephens leapt highest and rattled a header against the crossbar.

The Wood had slowed following their strong start and Tom Tonks looked to take advantage of this, as he drove a strike wide from 25-yards.

Kane Smith flew down the right and lofted a ball towards Ricky Shakes, but his header shaved the wrong side of the crossbar.

Garrard’s side went behind in the 31st minute, a long throw-in from Tonks caused carnage in the Wood box and allowed Kelleher to thrash a shot into the bottom corner.

But the Wood equalised in under a minute, Murtagh’s corner pin-balled around the box, before Turley snuck it past Connal Trueman.

It was Andrade who gave the home side the lead, the winger picked up the ball inside the area and cannoned it past Trueman.

The Wood were in full control now and Balanta was fed through the middle; he looked set to score before being brought down by the Moors defence, however, the referee waved calls for a penalty away.

Benson scored the goal of the day; Kane Smith crossed into the box and the forward leapt above the defence to net a lethal bicycle kick past Trueman.

Garrard’s men returned from the break determined to add to their lead, and Shakes crossed for Balanta in the box, the ball was heading straight for the midfielder, but Joel Kettle battled it away.

Andrade drove forward and launched a long-range strike at goal, but Darren Carter block his attempt, Balanta recycled the ball back into the box, but it evaded the head of Benson.

Balanta made it four on the hour mark as he cut inside and curled a shot past Trueman from the edge of the area.

Solihull Moors were struggling to get any kind of grip on the game, Carter carried the ball forward and laced a long-range effort at goal, but it failed to trouble Grant Smith.

Substitute Shaun Jeffers was fed down the right wing and played the ball low across the box, but the ‘keeper blocked for a corner.

PASE graduate Frank Keita was then brought on for Keiran Murtagh, he cut inside and fizzled a shot at goal, but Trueman was at his best and kept it out.

The Wood XI: G Smith (GK), K Smith, Turley, Champion, Stephens, Shakes, Murtagh (Keita), Ricketts ©, Balanta (Sach), Andrade, Benson (Jeffers)

Subs not used: Bozkurt (GK), Johnson

Solihull Moors XI: Trueman, Green, Kelleher, Kettle, Liburd, Murombedzi, Carter, Tonks (Edwards), Carline (Cleary), Afolayan, Benbow

Subs not used: Thomas, Dunkley, Vaughan


The Wood: Turley (32). Andrade (38), Benson (43), Balanta (59)

Solihull Moors: Kelleher (31),


Share This