On a bitterly cold and foggy afternoon at Meadow Park, the Wood will be disappointed not to have picked up all three points after a positive display against a strong and well drilled Barrow side. The game hinged on critical decisions which unfortunately the referee got completely wrong.

Luke Garrard stuck with the same side that beat Maidstone 3-2 in the FA Trophy in midweek in his new formation.

Both teams had a cautious approach to the game preventing any real opportunities although the Wood controlled much of the possession.

Barrow won a corner out on the left, Moussa Diarra won the first header, putting the ball into the danger zone. Wood failed to clear their lines, the loose ball looped in the air and Diarra again got on the end of it heading just wide of the post.

Bruno Andrade delivered a neat low cross into the box, Shaun Beeley sliced his attempted clearance which luckily for the defender fell nicely for the Barrow keeper to claim.

Matt Paine then needlessly committed a foul just inside the Wood half. The ball into the Wood box was won by Diarra who headed into a dangerous area but centre back Danny Livesey couldn’t find the target from six yards and put his effort over the bar.

On a Wood counter attack Angelo Balanta shot left footed that was off target after a neat chest down from David Stephens.

Wood started the second half brightest although it was Barrow who thought they should have had a penalty after Ritchie Bennett went down in the box. Their appeals were waved away by the referee.

It was the Wood though who went in front in the 53rd minute. Grant Smith played the ball out to Matt Paine who picked out Balanta. He took up a nice position with plenty of space that let him drive at the Barrow back line. From 20 yards Balanta  sweetly struck a left footed effort which nestled in the bottom corner of the net.

Wood nearly had a second on the break soon afterwards. It was Anthony Jeffrey, who was involved in all things going forward for Wood, who tracked back, won the ball off Yates, got to the by-line but couldn’t quite pick out Andrade.

Wood almost gifted Barrow an equaliser when Femi Ilesanmi lost possession from a Wood throw in. The ball was played out wide to the prolific Byron Harrison who took a touch before forcing Grant Smith into a smart save high to his left.

Then came the first of three controversial decisions in the last 15 minutes that gave Barrow the opportunity to level the game. As the ball was coming into the box Bennett decided to back into Matt Paine and throw himself to the ground tricking the referee to award the penalty, although just a few weeks earlier in the FA Cup for the same offence he was booked for simulation.

Harrison stepped up and sent Grant Smith the wrong way to level things for the visitors albeit against the run of play.

In the closing stages Wood should have had a penalty themselves. Jordan Williams handled in the area yet the Referee only proceeded to award a free kick right on the edge of the box. The Barrow wide man was booked and consequently sent off after picking up a booking earlier in the game.

From the resulting free kick Matt Paine was hauled to the ground but yet again the Referee waved away all claims and both sides had to settle for a point.

Boreham Wood: Smith, Woodards, Ilesanmi, Paine, Devera, Stephens, Ricketts, Paine, Balanta, Jeffrey, Andrade (Murrell-Williamson)

Subs: Shakes, Lucas, Uchechi, Nunn



Share This