A lacklustre performance from the Wood saw them miss out on the opportunity of going seventh in the table and close the gap on the top 6.

Luke Garrard’s men never managed to get going, but credit must go to Braintree who fought hard and deserved their victory.

Garrard opted to go for the same eleven that drew with Barrow at the weekend with the only change being fit again Morgan Ferrier coming back into the squad at the expense of Daniel Uchechi.

Braintree set the tempo of the game and only 10 seconds were on the clock when they had their first chance. Ex Wood PASE Academy graduate Simeon Akinola had a shot from distance which Grant Smith held on to well.

In a Wood attack which just didn’t fire all evening, Bruno Andrade managed to get beyond his man and get his cross into the box which Gayle cleaned up.

David Stephens fouled Jack Midson 20 yards from the goal and up stepped Akinola who forced a great save from Smith who was at full stretch to tip the ball round the post.

Braintree continued to dominate and just before the break they nearly took the lead. A clever free kick from Adams was played across the box to Manny Parry who hit the side netting with his first time effort.

The game changed in 10 minutes of the second half. On 52 minutes David Stephens was booked for a blatant foul on Midson and Akinola took the resulting free kick which cannoned off the wall for a corner.

Just four minutes later Stephens received his marching orders after another clear foul when Referee Mr Rock had no option but to brandish a second yellow card.

On the break Angelo Balanta played a pin point ball with the outside of his foot to Anthony Jeffrey. Jeffrey got the better of his man and crossed into the box for Balanta who couldn’t quite get his shot away.

Then came the match winning goal. Ebou Adams swung a right footed cross into the box which wasn’t dealt with by Femi Ilesanmi at the far post and from the resulting goalmouth melee Michael Cheek stabbed home from 2 yards to give the Iron the lead.

Garrard reacted and sent on forward thinking players in Ferrier and Rhys Murrell-Williamson which seemed to spark a bit of life into the Wood offensively. However, it was another sub Ricky Shakes who had a glorious chance to level for the Wood. Jeffrey swung a delightful ball into the box which found Shakes unmarked but he made a complete hash of the chance by heading away from goal.

In the final five minutes of normal play Wood had their best spell of the game exerting pressure on the Braintree back line. A corner from Jeffrey towards the back post found Danny Woodards whose header was on target but Sam Beasant in goal produced a fine save to earn his side all three points.

Boreham Wood: Smith, Woodards, Paine, Stephens, Devera, Ilesanmi, Ricketts, Davis (Shakes), Balanta (Ferrier), Jeffrey, Andrade (Murrell-Williamson)

Subs: Nunn, Lucas



Share This