Boreham Wood scored two first half goals to secure a massive win over in-form Barrow, in their first away win on grass this season. 

Keiran Murtagh put the Wood ahead with a stunning free-kick, before Justin Shaibu doubled the lead from the penalty spot.

Jack Hindle pulled a goal back for Barrow before half-time, but the Wood were able to hold out, to secure the win. It was the Wood’s first win, having stayed overnight for a match, since 1997, when they beat Bishop Auckland in the FA Trophy. 

Manny Parry came into the back three, with Tom Champion pushing into midfield, as Mark Ricketts missed out through injury.

There was an early sight of goal for the hosts, but George Legg was down low to push Rhys Norrington-Davies effort away from goal, after he had burst into the box with a left-wing run.

There was a quite start to the match, with neither side really getting to grips with the game, in the opening 15 minutes.

Murtagh sparked the game into life on 19 minutes though, when Tom Champion won a central free-kick, 25 yards from goal. Murtagh stepped up and curled the ball perfectly into the top left corner.

Ricky Shakes was then awarded plenty of time and space on the edge of the area, but saw Joel Dixon parry his fizzed effort.

Lewls Hardcastle was looking to make things happen for the home side, but the Wood midfield were frustrating him, with some tight marking. A twisted effort from Jason Taylor was blocked and cleared, as barrow continued to struggle.

The Wood were then awarded a penalty shortly after the half hour mark, as Shaibu was brought down in the area by James Jennings. The Danish forward stepped up and coolly converted from the spot, to give Wood a two-goal cushion.

Barrow were back in the game just two minutes later though. Jack Hindle diced with parry on the edge of the area, before sliding the ball past Legg and into the bottom corner.

They were then nearly level, as James Philpot met a cross from Josh Kay with a dangerous diving header, but he sent the shot wide of the right post.

On the brink of halftime, Manny Parry controlled a low cross from Ilesanmi in the box, but he was surrounded by white and blue shirts and couldn’t get a shot away.

Barrow were out of the traps quickly following a lengthy half-time team talk, with Hindle and Kay linking up once again. Goal scorer Hindle met a fizzed cross from Kay, but he couldn’t get his header on target from close-range, as it sailed wide.

Murtagh lifted a clever free-kick over the top of the Barrow defence, which was flicked across the box to Ralston Gabriel, but he couldn’t get a shot away from close-range.

Starting to grow into the second half, David Stephens got onto the end of a Murtagh free-kick, but saw his header blocked for a corner. Parry then charged towards the subsequent corner, but ‘keeper Joel Dixon plucked the ball from the air, before he could reach it.

Stephens blocked a cross into the box from Hardcastle and it fell to Hindle, but he thumped it wide.

John Rooney was found in plenty of space on the edge of the area and attempted to chip the ball into the far corner. Legg was aware though and rose to tip the ball out of the corner.

Barrow recycled it and thumped another strike at Legg, but once again, he was equal to it and pushed it.

Ian Evatt’s side continued to try and work their way back into the game, but to no avail, with the Wood remaining firm at the back. Legg was off his feet once again with 10 minutes to go, to save and hold a header from Sam Hird.

Champion then intercepted a passing move, as Rooney looked for a killer ball, that didn’t want to come.

There would be one final chance for Garrard’s men, as Murtagh weaved through the Barrow backline, but Idris Kanu was blocked off as he received the ball and couldn’t get a shot away.

The Wood: Legg, Woodards, Ilesanmi, Parry, Stephens, Shakes, Champion ©, Gabriel (Ash 65’), Murtagh, Fyfield, Shaibu (Kanu 78’)

Subs not used: Huddart, Cooper, Shields

Barrow: Dixon, Jones, Hindle, Rooney, Kay (Barthram 65’), Philpot (Reid 65’), Hird, Hardcastle, Jennings, Norrington-Davies

Subs not used: Elsdon, Jameson, Molyneux

Att: 1,415 (14 away)


The Wood: Murtagh 19’, Shaibu 35’

Barrow: Hindle 36’


Share This