Boreham Wood scored an injury time equalizer against Barrow, to salvage a point at Meadow Park and retain their unbeaten home record this season with a 1-1 draw.

John Rooney had put Barrow ahead in the 82nd minute with his second goal of the season and Ian Evatt’s side looked set for the win.

However, Keiran Murtagh had other ideas and levelled the scores in the 93rd minute, with a superbly taken half-volley.

Joshua Umerah partnered fellow Charlton Athletic loan striker Reeco Hackett-Fairchild for the first time in Boreham Wood colours, while Manny Parry retained his place in the back three.

Umerah enjoyed an early sight on goal, but could only spray his effort over the crossbar from inside of the area.

Rory Holden reacted by curling a half-volley towards goal from the edge of the area, but Ryan Huddart claimed it with ease.

The Wood’s best chance of the first half fell to top scorer Umerah, who had received the ball from a weaving run by Murtagh. Umerah was through on goal in the area, but his shot was blocked over the crossbar by Dan Jones.

Josh Kay had impressed for Barrow and was proving troublesome down the left-wing. The midfielder crossed low and it was met by the foot of Tyler Smith, but he sliced it wide.

A corner routine by Murtagh and Angelo Balanta caught Barrow off-guard, but Andy Firth was off his line to pluck out Balanta’s dangerous curling cross.

With the match creeping towards the halfway point, Jamal Fyfield swung a cross in from deep, but it narrowly evaded the diving head of Umerah.

Barrow returned to the second half at a higher pace and Josh Kay took down a long-ball as he looked to get on the front foot. He dropped his shoulder and knocked the ball onto his right foot, but curled it inches shy of the far post.

The away side continued to push forward and some neat play between Kay and Rhys Norrington-Davies saw the ball crossed for Holden, but it was intercepted.

Balanta then battled the ball from Norrington-Davies down the right-wing and fed Ricky Shakes, but his low cross was claimed by Firth.

Shakes looped in a cross for Hackett-Fairchild and he took it down with skill, but couldn’t send his shot on target, on the turn.

With the game still level, Holden struck a fierce long-range effort from 20-yards, but Huddart held the effort.

The away side would then take the lead though. Luke Burgess had been found in the Boreham Wood area and sent a strike crashing against the crossbar, Rooney was fastest to reacted and poked home the rebound.

However, The Wood knew that the game was far from over and Luke Garrard pushed defender David Stephens up front for the remainder of the match.

The centre-back knocked down a dropping ball to Murtagh, who thumped it on the half-volley with his left foot and into the bottom to earn his side a point.

The Wood: Huddart, Ilesanmi, Ricketts ©, Parry, Stephens, Shakes, Umerah (Woodards 77’), Murtagh, Fyfield, Hackett-Fairchild (Shaibu 79’), Balanta

Subs not used: Balcombe, Champion, Smith

Barrow: Firth, Brown, jones, Taylor, Granite ©, Rooney, kay, Carroll-Burgess (Jameson 90’), Smith (Blyth 84’), Holden (Hindle 74’), Norrington-Davies

Subs not used:  Barthram, Jennings


The Wood: Murtagh 93’

Barrow: Rooney 82’

Attendance: 564 (62 away)


Share This