Boreham Wood 1 – 1 York City
Tuesday 8th November 2022
LV BET Stadium Meadow Park, Vanarama National League


Goals at the start of each half saw the Wood come out with a stalemate against newly promoted side York City, following up victory in the FA Cup First Round last time out with a third draw in four league games.

Lenell John-Lewis gave the Minstermen the lead from the spot when Jamal Fyfield brought down Luke James in the box after ten minutes, but the Wood defender went from villain to hero when he equalised at the start of the second half, finally forcing the ball over the line after Danny Newton and Zak Brunt had been denied immediately before.

The Wood continued to push in the second half as they enjoyed plenty of the ball, but York goalkeeper Ethan Ross proved to be the hero as they were held to a point.

This result sees the Wood sit inside the top seven on goal difference, with another play-off hopeful in Woking visiting the LV BET Stadium Meadow Park on Saturday.

Luke Garrard made one change to the side that overcame Eastleigh in the FA Cup First Round, with Dennon Lewis recovering from the illness that saw him replaced in the build-up to that fixture along with Jamal Fyfield replacing David Stephens to make his second start in as many games.

It was the hosts who enjoyed the bulk of the possession early on and produced the first real half chance. Brunt threaded a ball through to Lee Ndlovu who showed good pace and strength to beat Sam Sanders and reach the byline before putting the ball into the danger area, but Danny Newton’s effort was blocked.

It was York who struck first though after James made his way into the box before being taken down by Fyfield, with John-Lewis stepping up to send a powerful low drive beyond Nathan Ashmore.

The Wood looked to hit straight back with George Broadbent charging forward with purpose before seeing a shot saved by Ross, after Sanders’ slight deflection had taken all the sting out of it.

The Minstermen remained relatively solid as they looked to defend their advantage, and almost extended their lead amidst some controversy after the Wood appealed for a free kick in a dangerous area, although it looked to be an excellent challenge from Fraser Kerr to set York away. Will Evans clattered into Olly Dyson as he looked to halt the counter attack, but James picked up the pieces before sending a shot inches wide of Ashmore’s near post.

Ross had failed to really be tested up until this point, but Brunt forced the York stopper into an outstretched save from 25 yards as he looked to find an equaliser.

They went close again as the game approached half time with Cameron Coxe doing excellently to make his way into the box, but York’s defence quickly regained their shape to force him to play the ball to Brunt, who took too many touches before the move broke down.

HT: Boreham Wood 0-1 York City

A vast improvement was on the cards for the Wood who were determined to get right back into the  game. Newton showed some excellent skill to take the ball down before firing a volley that crashed off the post, with Brunt’s follow-up being well saved by Ross. However, he could only palm the ball directly into the path of Fyfield who made up for his earlier error by heading the ball over the line.

This began a sustained spell of pressure for the hosts who now looked the most likely to score a second. Newton raced away from Dyson in midfield before spreading the ball out to the right, with Coxe’s centre being turned behind for a corner by Kerr, moments after John-Lewis had had smashed the ball over the crossbar from close range.

The Wood had the momentum though, with Dennon Lewis seeing a powerful effort tipped over the crossbar by Ross before Ndlovu turned the subsequent corner wide from close range.

The game started to get a bit flat as both sides looked to consolidate, although York did produce a couple of half chances with John-Lewis and Michael Duckworth both being denied as they looked to restore their lead.

The Minstermen almost went behind minutes later when Lewis won a free kick by the touchline, with the delivery leading to a goalmouth scramble that required Kerr to put his foot through the ball to clear as the Wood went ever so close to taking the lead.

Ashmore needed to be called into action for the first time in a while at the other end, with Dyson’s in-swinging corner being punched away by the Wood stopper before Dan Pybus saw his follow-up from the edge of the area blocked.

Ross proved to be the hero for the Minstermen when he pulled off a save from point blank range to deny substitute Josh Rees at the death, with the subsequent corner falling to Fyfield who headed over with the last kick of the game.

FT: Boreham Wood 1-1 York City

Boreham Wood: Ashmore; Evans, Fyfield, Ilesamni; Coxe, Broadbent, Payne, Brunt (Rees 76’), Lewis; Ndlovu (Marsh 88’), Newton

Subs Not Used: Ricketts, Elliott, Williams

Goal: Fyfield 50’

York City: Ross; Fallowfield, Duckworth, Kerr, Sanders, Whittle; Pybus, Dyson, Mafuta; John-Lewis, James (Duku 83’)

Subs Not Used: Whitley, Hurst, Kouhyar, Hancox

Goal: John-Lewis 10’

Star Man: Jamal Fyfield



Share This