York City 2-2 Boreham Wood
LNER Community Stadium
9th September 3.00
pm, Vanarama National League

After two successive defeats, it was a good point in North Yorkshire for Luke Garrard’s injury ravaged team. They had to come from behind twice to secure a 2-2 draw. Luke Garrard made two changes from last Saturday’s defeat against Barnet with Billy Sass-Davies and Timmy Abraham coming in for the injured Jamal Fyfield and Kwesi Appiah

Looking to impress their new manager Neil Ardley, the hosts had the best of things in the early stage. The looked more determined and seemed to be first to the ball all the time. They nearly took the lead on eleven minutes when Quevin Castro’s shot was well saved by Nathan Ashmore. Lee Ndlovu and Tom Whelan both went close soon afterwards, but they fired over. The hosts took a deserved lead on twenty-one minutes when a lovely run and cross from Ryan Fallowfield, picked out Dipo Akinyemi who finished cooly past Ashmore. Considering, Boreham Wood’s recent form and injury problems, people might have expected their heads to drop at this point, but it didn’t happen. Quiet the opposite in fact. They started to take the game to The Minstermen. Tom Whelan was a real driving force in midfield, and he went close on thirty-two minutes but was just off target. Timmy Abraham then forced York keeper Ryan Whitley in a good save a minute later.

On thirty-five minutes, Nathan Ashmore inexplicably handled the ball outside the area. This could have been a straight read card but, it seems the Wood keeper was confused by the clear line on the pitch in front of him, left over from York Knights Rugby League team who share the LNER Community Stadium with York City!! The referee, Michael Barlow gave him the benefit of the doubt and only awarded a free kick to the hosts. Five minutes later, Tyrone Marsh was aggrieved at not getting a penalty when it looked like he was tripped in the box. Perhaps referee, Mr Barlow was trying to even things out following the Ashmore incident. In stoppage time at the end of the half, Regan Griffith volleyed just over the crossbar. Soon afterwards, Whelan’s long-range shot was saved by Whitley in the York goal


Three minutes after the restart, the hosts might have doubled their lead, but Maz Kouhyar fired wide. On fifty-seven minutes, Wood equalised when an excellent Chris Bush pass found Ndlovu who made no mistake. It was no more than Boreham Wood deserved. However Wood switched off and only five minutes later Castro put the hosts back in front when his shot took a wicked deflection and wrong-footed Ashmore in the Wood goal. On sixty-six minutes, Wood equalised again with a fantastic Ndlovu goal. He went on an excellent run in the York penalty area before playing a one two with Marsh, and then finishing from close range.

Four minutes later Ndlovu might have got his hattrick but was just off target from an Abraham cross. On eight-three minutes, Zanda Siziba shot wide for the hosts. A minute later, recently introduced sub, Angelo Balanta stung the paws of Whitley with a fiercely struck shot. In the closing minutes, it was the Minstermen who looked more likely to win it, but they found Ashmore in terrific form. He denied Alex Hurst, Callum Howe and Olly Dyson with very good saves in injury time. Femi Ilesamni, nearly sealed the win for Boreham Wood but his well struck shot from distance, was just wide of the York upright.

It was a very good performance on the road from Boreham Wood, despite going behind twice. Luke Garrard will want to see more of this fight, away at Maidenhead United, next Saturday and hopefully have some of his injured players back.


By Brett Lewis



Outfield: All red; GK: All green Outfield: All grey; GK: All orange
Starting XI: Starting XI:
1 Ryan Whitley 1 Nathan Ashmore
2 Ryan Fallowfield © 2 Cameron Coxe
3 Adam Crookes 3 Femi Ilesanmi
5 Tyler Cordner 5 Chris Bush
8 Olly Dyson 7 Tom Whelan
9 Dipo Akinyemi 9 Lee Ndlovu
10 Quevin Castro (Siziba 63) 10 Tyrone Marsh
11 Maz Kouhyar 11 Timmy Abraham
15 Callum Howe 17 Liam O’Neil (75′ Balanta)
18 Dan Batty (McLaughlin 45) 18 Regan Griffiths
21 Kai Kennedy (Hurst 63) 22 Billy Sass-Davies
Substitutes: Substitutes:
6 Paddy McLaughlin 13 Koju Abayomi
7 Alex Hurst 4 Jack Payne
23 Zanda Siziba 6 David Stephens
32 Jack Stott 14 Angelo Balanta
36 Thierry Latty-Fairweather 20 Liam Miller
Match Officials:
Referee Michael Barlow
Assistant Referee 1 Adam Nichol
Assistant Referee 2 Steven Lawson
Fourth Official Christopher Ellis
Player of the match: Nathan Ashmore




Share This