Boreham Wood 0 – 1 Woking
Saturday 2nd April 2022
LV Bet Stadium Meadow Park, Vanarama National League


A late penalty from Max Kretzschmar was enough to give Woking all three points at the LV BET Stadium Meadow Park, bringing an end to the Wood’s unbeaten home streak.

The Cards’ midfielder took advantage of Will Evans’ poor challenge on Tyreke Johnson as he arrowed his strike into the top corner from 12 yards, shortly after Rohan Ince was sent for an early bath after a late tackle on Gus Mafuta.

Defeat means the Wood are now winless in seven, adding salt to the wounds after Grimsby Town, FC Halifax Town, Solihull Moors and Notts County all won earlier on in the day, remaining eighth in the National League table having dropped out of the play-off places for the first time this season due to results last week.

One change to the starting line-up saw Kane Smith make his return for the first time since the trip to Everton, but it was unable to have the desired impact as a poor half of football saw very little in the way of chances. Half chances at the start for Danilo Orsi and at the end for Frankie Raymond were the closest the hosts came to scoring, although both efforts rolled gratefully into the gloves of Craig Ross after the former’s swivel and shot took a deflection while the latter was unable to catch it how he wanted from distance.

Woking meanwhile fared no better, with Kretzschmar drilling a free kick just wide of Taye Ashby-Hammond’s right-hand post just before the half-hour mark for their only shot of the half, although Johnson did look the most threatening for the visitors having carried the ball dangerously at times and delivering a couple of crosses that came to nothing.

HT: Boreham Wood 0-0 Woking.

The Cards will have been the happier of the two sides going into the break having restricted their opponents to just a couple of opportunities, and began the second half even better. Johnson found space on the edge of the box just two minutes in with his effort whistling just wide of the top corner shortly before Kretzschmar fired an effort from distance with a deflection almost catching out Ashby-Hammond, who was forced into a good save.

Woking continued to get the better of proceedings, pressing intensely and attacking with purpose. They defended well once more to prevent a low cross from substitute Scott Boden reach the onrushing Orsi, before holding their line well to catch Tyrone Marsh offside ensuring the whistle had already gone when Boden put the ball in the net. This was sandwiched in between a couple of excellent chances for George Oakley to give his side the lead that went amiss, first finding himself in acres of space due to a miscommunication between Jamal Fyfield and Dave Stephens but rushing his shot with Inih Effiong perhaps in a better position to his left, before being unable to get his header on target from a Johnson cross.

This was followed by a couple of chances for Effiong, first scuffing his shot after being played through before turning on the edge of the box and firing into the heavens. Nonetheless all the momentum was with Woking.

However, the Wood were handed a lifeline to salvage the game with 22 minutes to go when Rohan Ince saw red for a late tackle on Mafuta. The Wood immediately looked to take advantage, with Boden heading over a deep cross from Mafuta.

Woking refused to give up though, and just six minutes after Ince’s error Will Evans made one himself that proved even more costly, taking out Johnson inside the box and giving the referee no choice but to point to the penalty spot. Kretzschmar had no hesitation as he stepped up, dispatching of the spot-kick to give Woking a deserved lead.

The Cards knew they had to hold out for the remainder of the game and allowed their opponents to take control of possession as they looked to see out the three points. The Wood attacked with desperation and would have been disappointed to not find an equaliser after Ross failed to punch a high ball clear, with it coming out to substitute Dennon Lewis with the goalkeeper in no man’s land, but his drilled volley whistled over the crossbar. This was followed by a deep ball into the box towards fellow substitute Adrian Clifton at the back post but his header went over the bar.

Six minutes would be added on at the end, but proved ineffective as Kretzschmar’s penalty ensured the Wood’s winless run stretched to seven games.

FT: Boreham Wood 0-1 Woking.

Boreham Wood: Ashby-Hammond, Evans, Stephans (Lewis 77’), Fyfield, Smith, Mafuta, Raymond (Boden 50’), Rees, Mendy Mendy, Orsi (Clifton 73’), Marsh.

Subs Not Used: Comley, Stevens.

Woking: Ross, Longe-King, Champion, McNerney, Casey, Kretzschmar, Nwabuokei, Ince, Oakley (Kabamba 70’), Effiong, Johnson (Loza 87’).

Subs Not Used: Smith, Annesley, Roles.

Star Man: Jamal Fyfield.



Share This