Boreham Wood 1-0 Weymouth
Tuesday 2nd January 2021, 7.45pm
Meadow Park, Vanarama National League

Following a hard-fought encounter against a resurgent Weymouth side, a second half goal from Kabongo Tshimanga gave Boreham Wood a welcome three points and their first victory in seven games in all competitions.

Boreham Wood made three changes to the starting line up from Saturday’s defeat against Eastleigh. With Tom Champion, Keiran Murtagh and Kabs Tshimanga starting instead of Zaine Francis-Angol, Mark Ricketts and Matt Rhead.

It was a lively first half which the visitors slightly edged, however it was Saturday’s goal scorer Kane Smith who had the first chance of the match after four minutes but his effort went wide. Former Wood player Sean Shields was causing problems for Wood and it was his cross that Josh McQuoid headed just wide after eight minutes. Followed a couple of minutes later by Jake McCarthy’s effort which was held well by Nathan Ashmore. The home side had their first effort on target after twenty-four minutes but Tshimanga’s shot was saved by Ethan Ross who managed to hold onto the ball before Junior Morias could follow up. Corey Whitely’s then also had a chnace but his effort was well blocked by another former Wood player, Ollie Harfield.

On twenty-nine minutes the Terras will feel they should have taken the lead. Andrew Dallas outpaced the Wood defence, but his effort was well saved by Ashmore. Shields’ follow up was blocked by Krystian Pearce before Pierre Fonkeu’s effort went wide of Ashmore’s goal. A  good effort from Tshimanga went just wide of Ross’s goal, going into the break goal-less.

The second half was quieter in terms of chances, but Boreham Wood were the much better side in this period. Wood had now nullified the threat of Shields and the match was played largely in Weymouth’s half. Corey Whitely showed his intent and was brought down by Aston Villa loanee Dominic Raven when he looked to be clean through Weymouth’s defence. While the home side were dominating possession, it was only after Luke Garrard replaced Morias with Rhead on sixty-six minutes that they started to turn the screw. Rhead immediately created a chance for Whitely, then a quick one-two between Gus Mafutra and Whitely enabled Mafuta to get a shot in which Ross saved comfortably. On seventy-one minutes came the goal that settled the match.

A terrific through ball from Keiran Murtagh enabled Tshimanga to hold off two Weymouth defenders before his shot tore into the back of the net via the crossbar and post. It was a goal that Wood’s dominance in the second half deserved and another example of the quality of Boreham Wood’s top scorer. The ball from Murtagh was inch-perfect and one of many similar passes he played in the match. It was Murtagh who nearly added to Wood’s lead after eighty-five minutes, but his effort went over the crossbar. Wood held on comfortably in the end.

This was a very good performance from Boreham Wood against a strong Weymouth side. Tom Champion who had a point to prove having been out of the team, was excellent on his return, let’s hope his injury isn’t too serious. Murtagh’s pinpoint passing and Whitely’s running were a contract threat to the Terras, it was nice to get back to winning ways.

Boreham Wood: Ashmore, Smith, Fyfield, Pearce, Champion (Francis-Angol 89), Ilesamni, Murtagh, Whitely, Mafuta, Morias (Rhead 66), Tshimanga (Coulthirst 90).

Subs not used: Huddart, Stephens.

Weymouth: Ross, Camp (Brooks 83), Ngalo, McCarthy, McQuiod (Luque, 43), Dallas, Mensah, Revan, Harfield, Shields, Fonkeu (Murphy 65).

Subs not used: Benfield, Robinson.

Man of the Match: Tom Champion.

Match report written by Brett Lewis (Non-League Paper & Wood Army member)


Share This