Boreham Wood 1 – 1 Weymouth
Saturday 22nd January 2022
Vanarama National League
LV Bet Stadium Meadow Park


In a closely fought encounter, Boreham Wood had to make do with a 1-1 draw against relegation threatened Weymouth at LV Bet Stadium Meadow Park. With goals from Frankie Raymond and an own goal for Weymouth from Jamie Reckord, it was honours even in a game that will probably be best remembered for the worrying looking injury to Terras midfielder Omar Mussa.

Luke Garrard made two changes to the starting line-up from last Saturday’s FA Trophy victory over Maidstone United, with new signing, Jamie Reckford replacing the suspended Jamal Fyfield at the back and James Comley coming in for Danilo Orsi who dropped to the bench.

After a quiet start to the match, Boreham Wood created the first opening after eight minutes when a lovely pass from Kane Smith picked out Scott Boden whose cross only just evaded Tyrone Marsh when it looked like he would tap it home. Six minutes later an excellent pass from man of the match James Comley picked out Marsh who shot well wide. The Terras had their first chance on twenty-two minutes when Tom Solanke shot high and wide. Five minutes later, Wood took the lead through Frankie Raymond whose well struck shot deceived Weymouth keeper Ross Fitzsimons at his near post. This was the former Bromley man’s first goal for the club. Wood may have added to their lead on thirty-seven minutes, but Fitzsimons saved well from Marsh on this occasion. The visitors then started to threaten and had an effort cleared off the line on forty-two minutes. A minute later, they got their equaliser when an Ollie Harfield cross was turned into his own goal by Wood debutant Jamie Reckord. Boreham Wood should have retaken the lead on the stroke of half time when Marsh shot over from twelve yards out when it looked easier to score.

Boreham Wood has the first chance of the second half when Boden headed wide on fifty-five minutes from a Kane Smith cross. The next period of the game was dominated by the visitors who forced a succession of corners and looked the more likely to score. However, the game was halted on sixty-seven minutes when Terras midfielder Omar Mussa went down with a worrying looking injury. He was unmoved for a long period of time as the players went off the pitch and the crowd were speculating over what might be wrong with the Terras midfielder. Mussa eventually managed to get up and walk off, much to the relief of the supporters at the ground who may have feared the worst.

Soon after the restart Marsh stuck a shot over the crossbar when well placed. Wood were on the front foot and looked more likely to snatch something from the game but for the most part, they were wasteful in the final third and didn’t test goalkeeper Fitzsimons in the period. Weymouth fought to the end to get something from the game and the recent managerial change with Brian Stock being replaced by David Oldfield clearly had an impact on them.

Luke Garrard put a positive spin on the draw describing it as “a point nearer where we want to be”. Boreham Wood go into their top of the table clash at Halifax Town on Tuesday night without a defeat in nine league games.

Boreham Wood: Ashby-Hammond, K Smith, Reckord, Evans, Stephens, Mendy Mendy, Rees, Comley, Raymond (Orsi 75), Marsh, Boden.

Subs not used: Roach, Clifton, Lewis, Ranger.

Weymouth: Fitzsimons, Cordner, Mussa (Goodship 67), McQuoid (Bearwish 82), Mnoga, Murray, Solanke, Harfield, Greenidge, Olomowewe, Shields (Blair 90).

Subs not used: McBurnie, Morgan.

Star man: James Comley.

Match report written by Brett Lewis (Wood Army Member)



Share This