Boreham Wood 5 – 3 Wealdstone
Saturday 15th October 2022
LV BET Stadium Meadow Park, Emirates FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round

Wood come out on top in eight-goal thriller

Cameron Coxe marked his Wood debut with his first goal for the club, helping to secure victory in the Wood’s first FA Cup match since the defeat at Everton at the Fifth Round stage last season, overcoming Wealdstone in the Fourth Qualifying Round.

It was the hosts who took a first half lead when George Broadbent found space on the edge of the box to arrow a powerful drive into the bottom corner, minutes before fellow Sheffield United loanee doubled the advantage from the spot after being taken out by Jack Cook.

The Stones enjoyed an improved opening to the second half as they looked to halve the deficit, but Coxe added a third with a little over 20 minutes to play when he got on the end of Dennon Lewis’ cross to make sure the victory was safe, although Olufela Olomola pulled a goal back moments later.

The Wealdstone comeback was set in motion despite Danny Newton thinking he had added gloss to the scoreline with a wonderful solo effort to make it 4-1; goals in quick succession from Simeon Akinola and Olomola made it an uncomfortable final few minutes for the home side.

Despite an impressive second half resurgence from the visitors, Danny Elliott made sure the win was secured when he slotted past Sam Howes deep into stoppage time, sealing a second win in consecutive games over Wealdstone.

Victory sees the Wood secure their name in the hat for the First Round proper, and they will be keen to take momentum into the visit of Wrexham next weekend as the National League returns on Saturday, 22nd October.

Two changes to the starting line-up saw David Stephens replace the injured Connor Stevens, who went down with an Achilles injury at Grosvenor Vale last week, while Cameron Coxe came in for his debut just two days after agreeing a short-term loan from Colchester United.

Coxe was involved immediately as an early chance came from his long throw found Tyrone Marsh, but Howes was equal to what was a tame effort from close range. The Wood looked the better of the two sides and bossed possession during the opening 20 minutes but were unable to produce many meaningful chances as Wealdstone remained resilient at the back.

They would soon take the lead though as Broadbent received the ball 20 yards from goal before sending a low drive past Howes; the ball destined to hit the back of the net from the moment it left his boot.

And they soon made it two when Brunt converted a penalty just four minutes later, with the midfielder making amends for a skied free kick moments earlier. He did well to make his way into the box before being fouled by Cook, proceeding to unleash a powerful shot into the roof of the net to increase the deficit.

The Wood were in the ascendancy and went close to a third when Femi Ilesmani sent a long free kick to the feet of Marsh, who’s initial shot rebounded into the path of Coxe who fired over the crossbar, but a dominant first half soon came to an end with the hosts two goals to the good.

HT: Boreham Wood 2-0 Wealdstone

Wealdstone had struggled to create any opportunities throughout the opening 45 minutes, but immediately showed they weren’t down and out with a first chance for the visitors. A cross from the right-hand side looked to produce chaos in the area with the Wood needing to clear.

The Stones continued to put pressure on, and went even closer to pulling a goal back shortly before the hour-mark when Alex Dyer found space on the left-hand side of the area to square it for Dominic Hutchinson, who’s effort trickled wide of Nathan Ashmore’s near post.

Brunt would be involved once more as the hosts looked to extend their advantage. The goalscorer floated a cross into the danger area which Will Evans volleyed goalward but it failed to trouble Howes.

They would soon have their third goal though, with Coxe combining with Lewis to finish off a lovely move. The Colchester loanee found himself in acres of space to spread the ball over to Lewis on the other side, before making his way into the penalty area to get on the end of the subsequent cross and give the Wood even more breathing room.

This breathing room would prove important, as Olomola flicked home at the near post following a corner to reduce the deficit and begin Wealdstone’s comeback.

The Stones smelt blood and were determined to find a way back into the game. Lewis would almost turn villain when he conceded a foul in a dangerous area, with Giovani McGregor firing inches past the post much to the disappointment of the Stones faithful who thought it had flown into the top corner.

They would prove to rue this miss, as Newton added gloss to the scoreline moments later. The former Solihull Moors striker outmuscled the defender and made his way towards the byline, before lashing a powerful effort into the far top corner from a tight angle to make it four.

Wealdstone continued to battle though, and substitute Akinola halved the deficit once more from close range moments before Olomola got on the end of McGregor’s pass to tap into an empty net, notching his second of the afternoon.

Tensions were high, with the visitors looking the most likely to score the next goal. A golden opportunity would fall to McGregor as the Wood were unable to clear their lines, but the Stones midfielder dragged his effort wide.

And substitute Elliott soon made the win safe, calmly slotting past Howes deep into stoppage time to finally bring a crazy second half to a close.

FT: Boreham Wood 5-3 Wealdstone

Boreham Wood: Ashmore; Evans, Stephens, Ilesamni; Coxe, Brunt (Ricketts 87’), Payne, Broadbent, Lewis; Marsh (Elliott 71’), Newton (Rees 81’)

Subs Not Used: Ndlovu, Williams, Andrade, Abayomi

Goal: Broadbent 25’, Brunt 32’ (pen), Coxe 65’, Newton 78’, Elliott 90+4’

Wealdstone: Howes; Mundle-Smith, Cook (Barrett 84’), Elerewe (Sesay 60’), Habergham; Dyer, Charles; Allarrakhia, McGregor, Hutchinson (Akinola 64’); Olomola,

Subs Not Used: Baptiste, Kinsella, Babalola

Goal: Olomola 68’, 87’, Akinola 83’

Star Man: Zak Brunt



Share This