Boreham Wood 0-0 Stockport county
Saturday 4th September 2021, 3.00pm
Meadow Park, Vanarama National League

An excellent defensive display from Luke Garrard’s men ensured a hard-fought draw against Stockport Country at Meadow Park.

The Boreham Wood Manager named an unchanged side for the third match running with new signing Adrian Clifton starting on the bench. The first half was uneventful with only three shots at goal, all from Boreham Wood. After 4 minutes Josh Rees had a half chance for Wood but he skyed his effort. The visitors started to take control of possession with some excellent passing and movement. However, as they moved the ball forward, there always seemed to be a Boreham Wood player in the way. The usually effective John Rooney was kept very quiet on this occasion. The next chance fell to Wood when an excellent pass from Mark Ricketts found Kane Smith down the right and his pinpoint cross was struck wide by Scott Boden. On the stroke of half time, a well struck Frankie Raymond free kick went just wide of Ben Hinchcliffe’s goal.

The second period was a better game in which the visitors dominated and created more chances. That said, it was Boreham Wood who nearly took the lead on fifty-two minutes. Following a goalmouth scrabble, Hinchcliffe saved well from Femi Ilesamni before Kane Smith put the ball in the net. Just as he was running of the celebrate, the linesman confirmed it was offside. On sixty-six minutes a tame John Rooney freekick went straight into Ashmore’s hands. Six minutes later Nathan Ashmore produced a world class save to keep out Alex Reid’s effort. It looked like a goal from the moment it left Reid’s boot, but Ashmore somehow got across to keep it out. On eighty-one minutes a terrific long-range effort from Jordan Keane struck the post before the ball flew out to Paddy Madden who somehow struck the rebound over the bar when it looked easier to score. At this stage the visitors were piling on the pressure and Ashmore made another excellent save two minutes later to prevent a Will Evans own goal. On eighty-six minutes Macauley Southam-Hales fired over when well placed for The Hatters. Despite Stockport’s best efforts, Wood held out for the draw, maintaining their unbeaten run and are yet to concede a goal.

There seems to be a resilience about Luke Garrard’s men these days. Another solid defensive display, this time against a quality opposition was refreshing to see. Obviously having a goalkeeper of the quality of Nathan Ashmore helps. He was unbelievable today.

Boreham Wood: Ashmore, Ilesamni, Ricketts, Evans, Rees (C Smith 66), Boden (Clifton 72), Marsh, Raymond, Fyfield, Mendy Mendy, K Smith

Subs not used: Green, Stephens, Munns,

Stockport County: Hinchcliffe, Palmer, Barclay, Southam-Hales, Rooney, Madden, Whitfield (Rydel 74), Collar (Reid 45), Raikhy (Walker 58), Keane, Croasdale

Subs not used: Ross, Hogan

Star Man: Nathan Ashmore

Match report written by Wood Army member Brett Lewis.


Share This