Boreham Wood 2 – 0 Scunthorpe United
Saturday 25th February 2023
LV BET Stadium Meadow Park, Vanarama National League


After four draws in a row, Boreham Wood returned to winning ways with a comfortable victory against Scunthorpe United at the LV Bet Stadium Meadow Park. Second half goals from Tyrone Marsh and Lee Ndlovu were enough for the three points.

Luke Garrard made two changes from Tuesday night’s 1-1 draw at York City with Jamal Fyfield coming in for the suspended Will Evans at the back and Zak Brunt replacing Josh Rees in midfield.

First Half

After a slow start, it wasn’t until the tenth minutes that either side threatened the goal. Boreham Wood’s Femi Ilesamni had a shot blocked by Andrew Boyce after a trademark Chris Bush throw in caused confusion in the Scunthorpe penalty area. Three minutes a later, a wind assisted goal kick from Nathan Ashmore fell into the path of Tyrone Marsh who could only steer his shot wide. On eighteen minutes, a lovely through ball from Zak Brunt found Lee Ndlovu with acres of space but his first touch let him down and Iron’s keeper Aaron Chapman was there to gather. Almost immediately, Marsh fired over for Wood. A minute later, the host has another good chance when following some good interplay between Chris Bush and Erico Sousa, Brunt shot just wide of the Iron’s goal. On twenty-five minutes, Ndlovu was just off target from a tight angle.

For the next period of the game, Wood continued to dominate possession and pinned Scunthorpe in their own half but were unable to penetrate a dogged Iron’s defence. On thirty-nine minutes George Broadbent forced Iron’s keeper Chapman into his first save of the afternoon. Jacob Butterfield, then registered the visitors first shot at goal but fired well wide. Just before the interval Scunthorpe’s Alfie Beestin headed straight into the arms of Nathan Ashmore from a Jacob Butterfield freekick.

Second Half 

The hosts continued to dominate, at the start of the second half and forced several corners. They had a good chance on fifty-three minutes when Brunt played in Sousa, who’s shot was well saved by Chapman. Ten minutes later, Boreham Wood took a deserved lead when Brunt played in Tyrone Marsh who finished well past Chapman in the Iron’s goal. On sixty-five minutes, Ndlovu increased Boreham Wood’s lead, when following some confusion in the Iron’s defence between Reagan Ogle and Chapman, Wood’s number nine was able to nip in and double the lead. The hosts, smelling blood, continued on the attack and Marsh was quickly denied by Chapman in the Scunthorpe’s goal.

As Boreham Wood started to protect their two-goal lead, the visitors spent large part of the final period of the match on the attack. Sean Shields had a shot blocked on seventy-minutes and Gerry McDonagh was off target with a header, nine minutes later. With three minutes left Will Smith was denied by Ashmore in the Wood goal.

It was a welcome three points for Luke Garrard’s men. Having taken the lead and quickly adding a second, Boreham Wood managed to hold out comfortably in the end. Luke Garrard will want to follow this up with another win on Tuesday night against Dorking Wanderers.

Boreham Wood: Ashmore, Sousa, Ilesamni, Fyfield, Bush, Agbontohoma, Broadbent, Payne, Brunt (Ricketts 85), Ndlovu (Newton 79), Marsh

Subs not used: Kelly-Evans, Ricketts, Rees, Newton, Lewis

Scunthorpe United: Chapman, Ogle (Smith 82), Leake, Boyce, Richards-Everton, Beestin, Butterfield (Shields 65), Bunker, Pugh, McDonagh, Wilson (Feeney 57)

Subs not used: Whitehouse, Daniel,

Man of the Match: George Broadbent



Share This