Scunthorpe United 0 – 2 Boreham Wood  
Saturday 3rd September 2022
Glanford Park, Vanarama National League


In the first ever match between the two sides, a goal each from Lee Ndlovu and Tyrone Marsh continued Boreham Wood’s 100% away record and gave Luke Garrard’s men a fourth away victory out of four in the Vanarama National League this season

Luke Garrard made three chances from Bank Holiday Monday’s 4-1 victory at Dorking Wanderers, starting with the side that was so dominant in the second half against the Surrey side. Dennon Lewis replaced the the injured Erico Sousa at left wing back, Zak Brunt came in for Mark Ricketts in midfield and Tyrone Marsh replaced Danny Newton up front.

First Half

Following a scrappy opening, Boreham Wood had the first chance of the match on eight minutes. Jack Payne’s long throw caused confusion in the Scunthorpe penalty area and following a scramble, Will Evans played in Tyrone Marsh who blazed his effort over from close range.

The hosts went close on fifteen minutes when the dangerous Rob Apter forced a save from Nathan Ashmore. Six minutes later, a neat move involving Apter and Marcus Carver resulted in another effort, this time from Colin Daniel who was off target. Soon after, a lovely run and pass from Jamal Fyfield, played in Dennon Lewis, who cut inside the Iron defence before shooting over the bar.

In the next period of the game, Wood put a lot of pressure but didn’t create anything, until in the thirty-eighth minute when Marsh forced a save from Marcus Dewhurst at his near post. Two minutes later Jai Rowe forced Nathan Ashmore into a save with a deflected shot. On the stroke of half time, Ndlovu fired over when well placed.

Second Half

Boreham Wood started the second period, on the front foot with Ndlovu, again going close early on. Liam Feeney had a good chance for the hosts on fifty minutes but couldn’t keep his shot down. At this stage, Zak Brunt started to pull the strings and played a delightful pass to Ndlovu but his effort was deflected over on fifty-seven minutes. A minute later Brunt forced Dewhurst into an excellent save with his shot from distance.

On fifty-nine minutes, Wood took the lead. A Dion Kelly-Evans cross was met with a towering header from Marsh and Dewhurst was again there to make a save but the ball fell into the path of Ndlovu who steered the ball home for his fourth goal in the last three matches. Three minutes later Marsh doubled Boreham Wood’s lead when he fired home from close range.

The hosts offered little after that, apart from an excellent Elliot Whitehouse effort on sixty-fourth minutes which was well save by Ashmore. They did have other shots but were way off target. On seventy-four minutes a Lewis shot was spilled into the path of substitute Danny Elliot, but his subsequent shot was deflected wide. Elliot went close again six minutes later but his effort was too high. Luke Garrard’s men were able to hold out comfortably for the three points.

It was another impressive away day for Boreham Wood again a dispirited Scunthorpe side. However with their new Interim Manager Tony Daws in place, it was always going to be a potential banana skin for Wood but the two quick goals in the second half killed the game as a contest. Luke Garrard will want to convert Boreham Wood’s excellent away form to home games starting with Oldham Athletic next Saturday.

Boreham Wood: Ashmore, Kelly-Evans, Lewis, Ilesanmi, Evans, Fyfield (Stephens 81), Rees, Payne, Brunt (Ricketts 76), Ndlovu, Marsh (Elliot 70)

Subs not used: Newton, Williams

Scunthorpe United: Dewhurst, Boyce, Feeney (Wilson 81), Nuttall, Carver (Beestin 68), Rowe, Taft, Butterfield, Daniel, Apter, Fletcher (Whitehouse 62)

Subs not used: Foster, Wilson,

Man of the Match: Jack Payne



Share This