Boreham Wood 1-1 Rochdale
Mangata Pay UK Stadium, Meadow Park
19th September 7.45
pm, Vanarama National League

Luke Garrard made one change from Saturday’s 1-0 win at Maidenhead United with David Stephens who was so impressive when he came on against Maidenhead, coming in for Timmy Abraham with Boreham Wood reverting to their more familiar five at the back.

It was a positive opening period for Boreham Wood as they attacked their visitors from the off. On seven minutes a Regan Griffith cross found Lee Ndlovu whose effort was blocked by Cameron John. Five minutes later Chris Bush’s header was comfortably held by Dale keeper Louie Moulden. The visitors then proceeded to dominate the rest of the first half with the excellent Tyrese Sinclair, very much at the heart of their good work. On fifteen minutes, following a lovely move, Sinclair was just off target with an excellent curling shot. Sinclair went close again, four minutes later but this time his effort was blocked by Billy Sass-Davies.

Jesurun Uchegbulam forced Nathan Ashmore into a save on twenty-six minutes. Four minutes later Kairo Mitchell’s shot was blocked, and Jimmy Keohane’s shot went just wide. On thirty-nine minutes Sinclair crossed the ball for Kairo Mitchell but couldn’t get enough on the ball it to convert it home. Just before the break, Sinclair went close again, but his dipping shot, went just over the crossbar.


The visitors started the second half in the same vein as they ended the first and took a deserved lead on forty-seven minutes. Cameron John’s shot was spilt by Ashmore and the ball fell into the path of Mitchell who made no mistake from close range. Like so often this season, Boreham Wood started to play after conceding a goal. A minute later, they equalised when Regan Griffith cross picked out Tyrone Marsh and his bullet header gave Moulden no chance in the Dale goal. It was two goals in two games for Marsh which is no more than his recent excellent form has deserved.

From this point on, Boreham Wood were much the better side and started to dominate possession with wing backs Femi Ilesamni and Cameron Coxe, a constant threat down the flanks. Marsh went close again on fifty-nine minutes but was denied by some excellent defending from Jimmy Keohane. Three minutes later Griffith did well to deny Uchegbulam just as the former Chesterfield winger looked like he was going to score. On seventy-nine minutes Chris Bush headed just wide from a Tom Whelan cross. Seven minutes later Coxe cut in on his left foot and forced an excellent save from Moulden. This was the last significant chance of the game.

It was a very good performance from Boreham Wood, especially in the second half, against a very good Rochdale side. However, if they were more clinical, it would have been three points. It was great to see Jack Payne back on the pitch after two months out injured and hopefully as more of the injured players return, Boreham Wood will rise up the table. Luke Garrard couldn’t have asked for anymore from his fit players during this injury crisis.


By Brett Lewis

Boreham Wood: Ashmore, Coxe, Ilesanmi, Bush, Stephens, Sass-Davies, Whelan, Griffiths (Balanta 72), O’Neil (Payne 37). Marsh, Ndlovu,

Subs not used: Abayomi, Abraham, Miller

Rochdale: Moulden, John, East, Ebanks-Landell, Sinclair, Clayton, Mitchell, Uchegbulam, Keohane (Oduroh 80), Nevett, Gilmour (Henderson 75)

Subs not used: McDermott, Conway, Ferguson,

Man of the match: Cameron Coxe




Share This