Boreham Wood 3 – 1 Maidstone United
Saturday 1st October 2022
LV Bet Stadium Meadow Park, Vanarama National League


George Broadbent marked his full debut with a goal as the Wood ran out 3-1 winners over newly promoted Maidstone United, with the BT Sport cameras there to capture it.

Maidstone took the lead midway through the first half after Roarie Deacon’s strike from the edge of the box took a wicked deflection off David Stephens, but their lead lasted just six minutes as George Williams’ cross from the right flank flew all the way in.

The Wood continued to dominate possession into the second half and finally made it count, as Broadbent met Dennon Lewis’ cross to give them the lead with his first goal for the club just after the hour-mark, minutes before Ndlovu added a third on his return from injury.

It went from bad to worse for Maidstone as Christie Pattisson was sent for an early bath after being shown a late red for a foul just outside the box.

Victory leaves the Wood fourth in the National League table, and they face a short break before taking on Bromley on Tuesday night.

Broadbent was given his first start after coming off the bench for his debut in last week’s draw with Yeovil Town, while Ndlovu returned to the starting XI after recovering from his knock, and the latter in particular impressed early on.

He showed good strength and speed to get beyond Gavin Hoyte on the left-hand side before sliding in Tyrone Marsh, who’s effort was deflected into the path of Tom Hadler five minutes in.

The hosts certainly had the better of things and attacked with intent, but were unable to produce any clear openings, shortly before the visitors had their first chance of the game.

Maidstone produced a golden opportunity shortly after, as Jack Payne was outmuscled by Sam Corne which allowed the ball to fall perfectly into the path of Christie Pattisson with a clear sight on goal, but the winger dragged his effort inches past the post.

The Wood immediately hit back and some added pressure came at the other end as the game began to come alive. Broadbent was taken out on the edge of the box with substitute Williams picking up the loose ball, delivering an inch-perfect cross that Ndlovu headed over the crossbar via a deflection.

The subsequent corner met the head of Will Evans who powered his effort goalward, but George Fowler was well-placed to clear it off the line.

It was the visitors who opened the scoring against the run of play in fortuitous fashion, as Deacon’s effort came off Stephens to wrong-foot Nathan Ashmore and find the bottom corner.

Unfortunately for the Stones, they were pegged back just minutes later as Hadler was caught in no man’s land, with Williams’ cross beating the goalkeeper via some help from the woodwork.

With the score equal once more, the game remained even for the rest of the half as Jack Payne dragged an effort wide moments before Regan Booty fired a free kick over the crossbar.

Maidstone would be denied by some excellent defending from Payne late on, sending the two sides into the break level.

HT: Boreham Wood 1-1 Maidstone United

The Wood almost took an instant lead after getting the ball rolling for the second half, as Zak Brunt threaded a lovely ball through to Ndlovu, but his touch was too heavy allowing Hadler to gather.

Similarly to the first half, the hosts bossed possession without carving out a clear chance, although they did go ever so close shortly before the hour-mark. Lewis was set away down the left flank and burst into the box, squaring it for Broadbent who was unable to keep his effort down under pressure.

The combination of Lewis and Broadbent did soon pay off though and the Sheffield United loanee did soon have his moment. Lewis played a wonderful cross into the danger area where Broadbent was waiting to head the Wood in front.

It got even better moments later, as Zak Brunt played a fabulous through ball to Ndlovu who tapped the ball past Hadler to extend the Wood’s lead.

The Wood were in the ascendancy and prevented their opponents from getting a rhythm going, going close to a fourth with a little under 15 minutes to go. Three chances in quick succession saw substitute Danny Newton twice denied, before Brunt’s follow-up was deflected out for a corner.

As if it couldn’t get much worse for the Stones, they were reduced to ten men when Pattisson saw red in stoppage time, and Josh Rees thought he had added a fourth when he slotted past Hadler moments later, but the assistant’s flag was raised to ensure it was just the three goals as the Wood secured the three points with a second home win of the season.

FT: Boreham Wood 3-1 Maidstone United

Boreham Wood: Ashmore; Evans, Stephens, Ilesamni; Kelly-Evans (Williams 11’), Broadbent, Payne, Lewis; Brunt; Ndlovu (Rees 72’), Marsh (Newton 53’)

Subs Not Used: Elliott, Stevens

Goals: Williams 36’, Broadbent 62’, Ndlovu 65’

Maidstone United: Hadler; Hoyte, Fowler, Ellul (Lyons-Foster 27’), Galvin; Barkers (Odusanya 81’), Booty, Corne; Pattisson, Alabi (Arnold 81’), Deacon

Subs Not Used: Mersin, Gurung

Goal: Deacon 11’

Star Man: George Broadbent



Share This