Maidstone United 0 – 4 Boreham Wood
Saturday 1st April 2023
Gallagher Stadium, Vanarama National League


After a disappointing couple of weeks, it was back to winning ways for Boreham Wood with a emphatic 4-0 win in Kent, relegating their opponents Maidstone United in the process. Two goals from Dennon Lewis and goals from Tyrone Marsh and George Broadbent were enough for an information three points for the Wood

Luke Garrard made three changes following Tuesday night’s disappointing defeat against Torquay United with Dion Kelly-Evans replacing Cameron Coxe at right wing back, Zak Brunt coming in for Josh Rees in midfield and Tyrone Marsh replacing Lee Ndlovu up front.

First Half

The match couldn’t have got off to a better start for Boreham Wood when in the first minute, following a long clearance, the ball feel to Dennon Lewis who made no mistake when one on one with Stones keeper Yusuf Mersin. It was Boreham Wood’s first goal in open play for five games. Soon afterwards, Maidstone’s Josh Shonibare, went on an excellent run down the right and played in a dangerous ball that was well cleared by Kelly-Evans.

On eight minutes Sol Wanjau-Smith struck a volley over the bar from the edge of the area. A minute later, Boreham Wood doubled their lead when the returning Tyrone Marsh chipped the ball nicely over Mersin in the Stones goal. Despite getting a hand to it, the former Dover Athletic keeper, could do nothing to keep it out. On eighteen minutes Roarie Deacon went close for the host but was unable to trouble Nathan Ashmore in the Wood goal. Four minutes later, Zak Brunt had a good chance but was unable to direct Femi Ilesamni’s cross properly with his head. On twenty-nine minutes, following an excellent run, Lewis picked our Brunt, who’s shot was cleared off the line by Kevin Berkoe. Lewis went close again on thirty-eight minutes but his well struck shot was saved by Mersin. Lewis was causing the Stones defence all sorts of problems all afternoon, went close again, three minutes later but was denied by a combination of goalkeeper Mersin and defender Berkoe as he was about to shot. On the stroke of half time, Kelly-Evans made an important tackle to deny Sol Wanjau-Smith when he was about to shoot.

Second Half

Boreham Wood continued to dominate in the second half and had numerous chances to extend their lead. Four minutes after the restart, Marsh played the ball into the path of George Broadbent who fired over. On fifty-three minutes, Marsh had the ball in the Maidstone net but the goal was ruled out for offside. Four minutes later Broadbent added a third, finishing well from an excellent Lewis cross. On sixty-two minutes Lewis added following an excellent pass by Brunt.

Wood continued to dominate possession against a disappointing Stones side who were low on confidence and heading for the trapdoor. Nathan Ashmore was called in to action for the first time on eighty-four minutes when he did well to save from Ryan Viggars. In the final minute, Dominic Odusanya forced Ashmore into an even better save, preserving Boreham Wood’s clean sheet.

It was a welcome three points for Luke Garrard’s men and it seems a very good time to play Maidstone. It pushes Boreham Wood up to sixth place in the league, ahead of Eastleigh. With an important Easter weekend of fixtures to come, this performance and result will no doubt breed considerable confidence in the Boreham Wood side.

Boreham Wood: Ashmore, Kelly-Evans, Ilesamni, Bush, Fyfield (Coxe 46), Agbontohoma, Broadbent (Ricketts 87), Brunt, Payne, Lewis, Marsh (Newton 75)

Subs not used: Rees, Ndlovu,

Maidstone United: Mersin, Fowler, Wanjau-Smith, Odusanya, Booty, Berkoe, Deacon, Bone, Jobe (Viggars 17), Shonibare (Marshall 60), Gurung

Subs not used: Hadler, Touray, Walters

Man of the Match: Dennon Lewis



Share This